Search by job title or keyword
About the team (DNA)
This is the way that Data & Insight flows to Action here at the Very Group and it is at the heart our strategy. From Retail Forecasting to Customer Insights, Marketing Optimisation and Onsite Personalisation, through to how we enable vendors and partners to access our data. The range of Data Driven initiatives are exciting – all with a common goal – to drive actions and value from Data and Insights.
We are working to continually improve our estate, and to build cutting-edge technology to enable technology and data professionals and The Very Group as a whole.
About the role
As an Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for leading and line managing a team of both Data and QA Engineers across multiple squads. This role is both line management (70%) and hands-on (30%), along with leading the squad you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing, assuring, and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll create, maintain, and drive best practices in software and quality assurance engineering within the squad.
As an Engineering Manager you will have the following responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Head of Technology you will lead a team of Data and QA Engineers across a broad, and ever-changing, range of technologies – takes responsibility for the personal development and performance of each member in the team, developing both technical skills and behaviours.
- Responsible for the full lifecycle of the technical products and services with your squad(s), driving best practice and leading by example.
- You will work alongside architects, product managers, business analysts, delivery managers, service managers and security consultants to design, build and assure software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
- Ensuring quality assurance approach meets standards and the automation first is being used by the Squad(s)
- Proactively drive the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes across the squad and wider tech teams.
- Work alongside the Head of Technology, Senior Engineer Manager and Architects to contribute to the technology vision and roadmap.
- Manage resourcing plans and recruitment for Engineers within your Squad.
- Working with Product Owner to get technical stories on and appropriately prioritised to backlog.
What you’ll bring
- Previous experience of building and leading high performing data engineering teams operating in a lean, agile, DevSecOps based environment.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Experienced in managing any individual performance issues.
- Experience of building, integrating, maintaining, and managing complex data platforms, architectures, and tooling ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- Experience of building data applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability, and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- Experience of building and assuring quality in your products, preferably through automation.
- A strong collaborator and communicator.
- A background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role.
- Confident and comfortable to share stories internally and externally to build our Very Group brand and credibility to attract and retain talent.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £6,500 Flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.