Search by job title or keyword
Lead BI Developer - Power BI
About the team (DNA)
Data>Insight>Action, this is the way that Data & Insights flow to Action here at the Very Group and it is at the heart our strategy. From Retail Forecasting to Customer Insights, Marketing Optimisation and Onsite Personalisation, through to how we enable vendors and partners to access our data. The range of Data Driven initiatives are exciting – all with a common goal – to drive actions and value from Data and Insights.
We are working to continually improve our estate, and to build innovative technology to enable technology and data professionals and The Very Group as a whole.
About the role
The Lead BI Engineer will take end to end ownership of complex reporting projects, working either individually or taking a lead role with junior colleagues. You will work independently and with initiative to manage complexity in stakeholder management, business processes, and solution building to deliver high quality reporting solutions, including vital data pipeline and data model builds.
You will also partner with the BI Manager in developing team best practice, governance, ‘ways of working’ and technical proficiency. You will aid with mentoring junior colleagues and will be called upon to represent the BI Team on occasion. You will enable colleagues across all business areas to make key business decisions by delivery high quality reports built on trusted data models and pipelines.
Key Responsibilities include;
- Manage stakeholders through the report development lifecycle including requirements gathering, updates and expectation management, user testing, sign off and roll-out
- Build trusted data models to support reporting projects including understanding data sources, writing SQL data pipelines and creating and populating data models
- Design and build reports using sophisticated visualisation tools
- Work with the Service Delivery Team to implement data pipelines, data models and reports into production, and, when necessary, solve any post implementation issues
- Conform to the BI governance framework in all data engineering and report building tasks
- Support junior colleagues in project work and otherwise be an example and mentor to them
- Take a lead role in cross tribe initiatives that impact the BI Team and otherwise represent the BI Manager when necessary
What you’ll bring
- Excellent level of proficiency in writing SQL
- Experience of writing SQL data pipelines from scratch
- Strong understanding of data modelling concepts e.g., star schemas, primary/foreign keys, fact and dimension tables etc.
- Extensive experience in building and maintaining data models
- Excellent level of proficiency using Power BI (our chosen data visualisation and report building tool)
- Advanced level of proficiency in data visualisation and report design
- An understanding of best practice regarding design and build of data pipelines, data models and reports
- Strong stakeholder management skills and extensive experience of managing stakeholders through the report development life cycle
- Ability to take a lead role in managing complex projects
- Ability to lead / coach junior colleagues
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £1000 Flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.