Search by job title or keyword
Senior Data Scientist
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Opportunities in our Data Science community:
Our Data Science teams work across the business in a number of areas to help drive innovative, collaborative and iterative solutions to challenging problems. You will work closely with various business areas to drive insights, improve our products and create help more effective solutions. Typical Data Science projects may involve Experimentation, Marketing, Retail and Operations or Digital Product and CX. The key thing that all our teams do is support our business colleagues to make bold data driven decisions that drive value for our business and our customers.
What we do:
We utilise sophisticated analytical techniques and statistical modelling to support many areas of the business and contribute to their success. This can range from working on how we measure and optimise our marketing spend, how we make stock purchasing decisions, to how do we diagnose the crucial customer challenges in our digital customer experience and make recommendations to improve them.
Some of our key wins recently have included:
- The introduction of a new Digital Attribution report to help our marketing teams operate more effectively.
- Successfully launched a suite of individual product recommendations within email communications.
- The adoption of a Quasi Experimentation methodology to provide teams with a greater level of understanding of the impact changes in marketing and financial products have on our customers
- We launched a new methodology for analysing customer feedback as part of our NPS survey which helps us to diagnose customer problems more efficiently.
- A successful internal hackathon where a number of colleagues from across the business joined forces to solve key data challenges.
- Launched demand forecasting models to help make effective product planning and buying decisions.
These recent wins highlight the importance of the function. Demand for the team is always greater than what we can meet. Data is at the very heart of our business with board level visibility of many of the projects we work on.
How we work:
We work with many different parts of our business, adopting working styles to best suit collaboration. The team champions innovation and a pioneering spirit for constant development. Our teams are empowered to deliver complex projects and develop a strong culture of friendship and collaboration. We encourage our team members to feel part of the wider data community.
What do we look for?
An outcome driven Data Scientist who is comfortable working as part of a wider team. You will have a demonstrable ability to solve problems and establish working relationships with others. It is vitally important that you are eager to learn, to get involved and to work on a number of different challenges and business problems. The Very Group is a constantly evolving environment to work, and being comfortable with change and embracing it as an opportunity to develop personally and professionally is crucial. Collaboration and knowledge sharing are vitally important and encouraged within the team.
Self-development is important for us. We see both learning together as a team through the process of delivery and individual learning to build specific skills to able to contribute more to the team, as important. We will give you the time and tools to do this!
Does this sound like you...
We are looking for a senior data scientist who designed and implemented end to end forecasting workflow in the past.
- You have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of time series forecasting approaches: hierarchical models, reconciliation approaches, classical time series methods, back testing options, model evaluation metrics.
- You have developed techniques how to investigate forecasting models at scale.
- You have applied machine learning to time series. You can explain what additional steps needs to be to apply ML for time series problem.
- You are able to articulate how and where such models should be used and understand the underlying mathematics behind them in detail.
- You have a proficient knowledge of one or more frameworks (SAS, R or Python) and are able to produce modular, performant, high quality code. Highly efficient at wrangling and pre-processing data from various sources. Unit test is your friend.
- You have a well-developed knowledge the data science workflow generated through real life experience. You can draw on multiple examples of handling common challenges and how best to resolve them.
- Strong skills in defining problems and scoping and planning projects.
What you will be responsible for...
- Owning demand forecasting models.
- Creation of KPIs to track for forecasting quality, setting quality targets, finding root causes for forecast inaccuracy and proposing solutions to solve it.
- Drive and implement demand forecasting methodology improvement, working together with the business to find new data sources to improve forecasting models. Testing new model enhancement ideas, fine-tuning parameters, promoting into production.
- Guiding the business on how to ask the right questions to enable actionable strategic decisions, translating those questions into data science problems, and choosing appropriate forecasting models to solve it.
- Defining problems, scoping and planning projects. Self-managing the delivery of objectives as part of a team. Proactively trying to solve blockers.
- Contribute to improving Data Science methodologies code base including defining and implementing best practice knowledge gained through previous experience.
- Build trust and credibility with stakeholders.
- Assist in the development and upskilling of junior members of the team through project leadership and mentoring opportunities.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- £1,000 of flexible benefits allowance (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Bonus Scheme
- Matched pension at 6%
- 1x Life Assurance / Private Medical
- Brand discount up to 25%
- Cycle to work scheme
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
How to apply.
If you're interested to find out more please contact Jordan Barlow or Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are handling this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.