Search by job title or keyword
Senior QA Engineer
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work. The role itself will be a mix of on-site vs remote, we've adapted well to remote ways of working and will continue to embrace those practices moving forward.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent?
About the role
Our QA Engineers ensure that the product that the squad create are to the quality standard our customers, colleagues and shareholders expect. For us, our QA's explore, develop and execute exploratory and automated tests to assess product quality and risk. This covers all functional and non-functional aspects of the product that the squad create.
Senior QA Engineers will help us drive collaboration and deeper conversation at every stage of the software development process to drive defect prevention, whilst working with all squad members to drive quality throughout the product lifecycle using modern software development and monitoring techniques.
For our ways of working we have chosen a truly agile model. Here we work Squads, and those squads are a part of our wider Tribes and our Tribes are linked to Products such as:
- Migrating our website & mobile applications to AWS-based polyglot microservices to provide an enhanced Digital Customer Experience
- Introducing new CRM capabilities and enhancing our Chatbot experience
- Introducing new Personal Loans, new Warranties, new Credit Decisioning platforms using Microservices and best of breed SaaS to support our Financial Services business
- Introducing new capabilities for how we plan and manage our retail products.
- Enhancing our logistics and fulfilment capability to improve how we manage stock and orders in a flexible method, delivering an enhanced retail experience for our Customers
We're looking for experienced Senior QA Engineers across all our Squads and Tribes.
To be a Senior QA Engineer here, we need someone who is used driving and owning the test approach for each story delivered. You'll be used to driving discussions and more often than not take ownership around Unit, Functional, performance, and security.
Our approach is ‘automation first’ to all stories, using discussion, debate and risk to find the right balance between automated and exploratory testing. We'll expect you to be well versed in Automation.
As a Senior QA Engineer, we'll need your help and support across each person in the squad to to help them think quality and test at the right time!
Day to day we think you'll help drive this collaborative approach by organising test mobbing and pairing sessions with the squad. Attending and contributing in all agile ceremonies, whilst proactively supporting all members.
You'll have a responsibility from a QA and Test standpoint to Identify risk at every stage and therefore communicate the impact of the risks so that everyone can understand, and decisions can be made by our Product Owners, Delivery Managers, and the squad overall. Ultimately you'll ensure the outcomes of testing are easily turned into information for others to digest, and use your knowledge and experiences from being a Senior QA engineer or prior Test Engineer or Test Analyst to help steer others to make the right decisions on risk.
From a future proof point of view, you'll work with the QA Principal to be aware of software industry developments and continually review testing processes and strategies to ensure that the squad remain current.
- Proven work experience in software testing
- Strong knowledge of modern software testing methodologies, tools and processes
- Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate and a curious, learning and brave approach to work
- Experience in influencing teams in their approach to QA
- Experience working in an Agile development process
- Great exploratory testing skills and experience.
- Solid knowledge of databases and the ability to query them using SQL.
- Experience of Test Driven approaches to software engineering (ATDD, BDD & TDD)
- Experience with automation with a level of proficient in one language and have the ability to learn others
- Experience in use of tools to solve test efficiency issues, such as use of SOAP and/or REST API testing, using tools such as Postman, Swagger, SOAPUI
- Experience of non-functional testing, particularly performance and security testing
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is a passionate QA and Test Engineering who is looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health trained first aiders across the business
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility