Search by job title or keyword
Software Engineering Lead - DCX (Digital Customer Experience)
Here at The Very Group we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
Digital Customer Experience (DCX)
The Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe is striving to create a world class customer experience across our Mobile and Web platforms. We are in control of building this exciting future and are looking for like-minded individuals to help make this a reality. We need people with strong backgrounds in digital retail to help us on this journey as we strive to define, design, build and run frictionless experiences that sets The Very Group apart from other online retailers.
Tech Stack: Java, Spring Boot, microservices & serverless, React & Node.js, Go, AWS and more.
As a Software Engineering lead you will be at the heart of driving this change forward.
Our Software Engineering Leads are responsible for leading and line managing a team of front-end and back-end software engineers in an agile delivery squad. This role is both line management and hands-on, along with leading the squad you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll create, maintain and drive best practices in software engineering within the squad and the wider technology community.
Here you can expect to be involved in:
- Leading a team of up to 6 Software Engineers of varying levels of experience in a Squad, task managing, people managing, motivating and coaching them to achieve their full potential
- Collaborating with Architects, Software Engineers, Platform Engineers to shape the technology landscape for the products you support, developing, refining and assuring engineering standards
- Engineering software – design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future technology roadmap
- Resourcing strategy for your squad (alongside Head of Technology / Engineering Manager)
- Technology strategy and delivery approach for squad (in-line with Architecture guidelines)
- Software Engineering patterns & frameworks (alongside Heads of Tech / Engineering Manager / Tech Leads)
- Support model for your squad (alongside Head of Technology / Engineering Manager and Service Manager)
- Performance management and development planning for Engineers with your Squad
- Head of Technology and Engineering Manager within Tribe (DCX / FS / Customer / Retail / Logistics & Fulfilment)
- Tech Leads and other Software Engineering Leads within and across Tribes
- Product Owner and Delivery Leads within Squad and across Tribe
- Architects, Engineers, Service Managers, Information Security Consultants within Tribe
Day to day:
Reporting to either the Head of Technology or Engineering Manager you will lead a team of software engineers across a broad, and ever-changing, range of front-end and back-end technologies – takes responsibility for the personal development and performance of each member in the team, developing both technical skills and behaviours.
Our Leads are responsible for the full lifecycle of the technical products and services with their squad, driving best practice and leading by example in a hands-on role.
You will work alongside architects, product managers, business analysts, delivery managers, service managers and security consultants to design and build software balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
Our Leads take ownership and champion non-functional requirements around performance, security and scalability to ensure we deliver a great customer experience. Driving best practice around real-time logging, monitoring, alerting. Whilst proactively driving the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes across the squad and wider tech teams.
- Work alongside the Head of Technology, Engineer Manager and Architects to contribute to the technology vision and roadmap. Manage resourcing plans and recruitment for Engineers within your Squad.
- Working with Product Owner to get technical stories on and appropriately prioritised to backlog
- For vendor systems owned by Squad a) understand and leverage capabilities b) ensure release impacts are identified and addressed via backlog. Where primary user of vendor assume technical responsibility for vendor relationship including performance reviews.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/ do impact the technical product and work with all stakeholders required to mitigate them
- Ensuring that all aspects of Engineering Lifecycle are governed in line with policies and standards expected
- Ensure Software Engineers in team are set-up to provide Run support for all technical products
- Contribute to the definition and agreement of the bounded context (technology/ data) of the Product(s) owned
- Significant experience of building and leading high performing software engineering teams operating in a lean, agile, DevSecOps based environment.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Experienced in managing any individual performance issues.
- Experience of building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures (both build and bought), ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- Experience of building software applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- A strong collaborator and communicator.
- Computer Science degree or relevant experience.
- A background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role is essential.
- Confident and comfortable to share stories internally and externally to build our Very Group brand and credibility to attract and retain talent
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- £6500 additional benefits allowance
- 6% matched pension
- Up to 20% bonus
- Office / remote split post Covid (fully remote until September)
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Software Engineering looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.