Search by job title or keyword
Principal Reliability Engineer
Here at The Very Group, we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
Working as part of an agile multi-disciplinary squad you will be the hands-on Principal Reliability Engineer working with a team of 3 performance tester engineers. You will report to the technical product owner of the squad, helping to shape the roadmap, and working with stakeholders to ensure the right tools and information are in place and adopted to ensure the delivery tribes develop reliable services to our customers.
About the Platform Engineering Tribe:
The Platform Engineering Tribe consists of two squads, both with a common theme of providing tools, solutions, experience and advice across the tribes within The Very Group.
This role belongs in the Infrastructure Frameworks & Reliability Engineering squad within that tribe. The squad is responsible for developing reliability tools, AWS infrastructure and working very closely with the development tribes to spread good practice.
AWS, Load Test Tools, Monitoring Tools, Microservices (Jenkins, Docker, ECS, ECR, Fargate). Java, Node.JS and Go.
- Selecting, designing & developing reliability tools that enable the other tribes and squads to deliver reliability to their products.
- Broadcasting new tools and features and working with the tribes to understand further requirements for the roadmap.
- Giving detailed technical guidance to the team and helping them with their development. Coaching on good practice software development in terms of reliability engineering, including good practice around observability and performance.
- Developing both technical skills and behaviours of each engineer and QA in the squad.
- Significant experience of technical leadership in high performing reliability engineering teams operating in a lean & agile environment.
- Experience of enterprise level observability and load testing tools.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Experience of building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures (both build and bought).
- Experience of building software applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- A strong collaborator and communicator.
- Computer Science degree or relevant experience.
- Background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role are essential.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 days
- Additional flexible benefits allowance £1,000 (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus (based on individual and company performance)
- Matched pension up 6%
- 1x Life Assurance
- Private Medical
- Flexible working
- Self-development time
- Brand discount - up to 25%
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Free on-site parking subject to postcode and availability
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams or Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
If you are an internal candidate looking to refer someone in, please follow the referrals process and guidelines
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.