Search by job title or keyword
Senior Solicitor- Fixed term contract.
Hey, we’re The Very Group. Home of Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com, and a team of 3,500 super-talented people.
We’ve been reinventing shopping experiences for over a century. Technology has played a huge part in that, helping us transition from catalogues’ to pureplay online retail, but we’re not the finished article.
As the UK's largest integrated retail and financial services provider, we have a pretty unique position across three huge industries (retail, technology and credit) and our ambition is bold, to build the number one shopping destination for shoppers who value credit anywhere online. But we believe with our passion and track record for reinvention, we can improve how the world pays and shops for the things they love. Think you can help us? Read on...
We are looking for a qualified solicitor, based from our Head Office in South Liverpool, to provide maternity cover under a fixed term contract providing commercial and pragmatic legal advice right across all areas of The Very Group, identifying risks and advising on ways to address them.
About the role
This role represents a great opportunity to work within a critical support function of a major digital retailer and financial services provider. This role will cover a broad range of commercial contracts, including Financial Services, IT, marketing, general retail, consultancy, logistics, sponsorship and general procurement. It will entail regularly advising on aspects of intellectual property, data protection, distance selling and e-commerce and require a broad understanding of the implications of operating within a regulated financial services environment.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
· Contract review, drafting and negotiation for a range of different agreements.
· Maintaining extensive knowledge of UK and EU legal and regulatory developments affecting The Very Group’s activities and the retail financial services marketplace and identifying potential legal and regulatory change to ensure impacts are sufficiently understood and mitigated.
· Maintaining effective relationships with all relevant business areas and regulatory bodies through a pragmatic, commercial and business focussed approach and demonstrating a sound understanding of business processes within the Group, the interdependencies between them and the impact upon them of external legal and regulatory changes.
· Application of analytical and process skills, specialist knowledge and innovative thinking to offer support and guidance on complex legal and operational problems, including assessing the legal/regulatory risks involved in any given situation, the impact of systems and operational capabilities and the impact on all other dependent areas of the Group.
· Consistent demonstration of effective communication and influencing skills, with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical legal issues to non-subject matter experts at all levels and the confidence to challenge and escalate appropriately.
· Effective stakeholder management both internally and externally.
· Providing structured training and on the job guidance and training to staff in a variety of departments, raising awareness of legal and regulatory risks relevant to them.
· Supporting a range of commercial projects within The Very Group business.
· Ability to work independently and use own initiative whilst also having the support of the wider legal team.
· Ability to manage competing demands and to work under pressure
We are looking for a Commercial Solicitor or Legal Counsel within a broad commercial role.
You must be able to demonstrate sound commercial awareness and judgement, logical problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal and team skills.
You will have effective communication and influencing skills with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical issues to non-subject matter experts. Personality fit with the team and with The Very Group Culture and Values are critical.
Someone with experience working in a regulated environment, or experience of Financial regulations would be advantageous but not necessary.
How to Apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for a solicitor who has gained experience of a range of commercial contracts, ideally within the retail or financial services sector, looking to further their experience working for a major digital retailer and financial services provider.
· £6500 flexible benefits allowance *pro rota’d for contract
· 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 *pro rota’d for contract
· Onsite gym with over 25 classes
· 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
· Health and wellbeing agenda
· Childcare vouchers
· Private pension matched at 6%
· Bonus potential (performance and business related)
· On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
· Cycle to work scheme
· Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
· Flexible working options
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Commercial Solicitor to join a high performing team in a busy role. If you're interested to find out more please contact Hayley Denson in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please apply via Talent Online as an internal applicant.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.