Search by job title or keyword
Assistant Buyer - Own Brand Furniture
We are The Very Group and we’re here to help families get more out of life. We know that our customers work hard for their families and have a lot to balance in their busy lives. That’s why we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options on Very.co.uk to help them say yes to the things they love. We’re just as passionate about helping our people get more out of life too; building careers with real growth, a sense of purpose, belonging and wellbeing.
ABOUT THE TEAM
An exciting time to join the buying team at Very, working to ensure we range the best offering to our customers. With our in-season trading actions you will bring our customers the best product at the best price.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We have an exciting opportunity for an assistant buyer who will report directly into the Buying Manager for the Own Brand Furniture category. In the role you will focus on the following areas
- Developing commercial range-plans suited to our customer, producing, and communicating reports at trade meetings on trends, forecasts, and opportunities.
- Functional understanding of key systems; Sample trackers, range planners and product set up.
- Understanding of department critical path, supply base and trading calendar.
- Day to day communication with supply chain to enforce the critical path ensuring proto samples, approvals, sealing samples and photo-graphics are on time.
- Sample management, chasing samples ahead of sign offs, checking samples and liaising with VM teams
We’re looking for a candidate who already has experience at this level or someone who has transferable skills in a relevant profession and can demonstrate a proven understanding and passion for buying. Ideally the successful candidate will have experience of the following
- Collaborating closely with Senior Management Teams, clearly articulating category performance and identifying trading actions.
- Relationship management: both internally and externally will be important, building positive relationships to improve commercial opportunities.
- Commercial awareness: Awareness of the market is key, keeping track of competitor activity, market trends and price positioning.
- Maintaining relationships with suppliers in line with our values.
- Able to deputise for the Buyer/Buying Manager in key meetings.
- Able to delegate or take lead and make decisions under pressure.
- Formulating Range Frameworks alongside merchandising and Assortment planning functions.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- Inclusive culture and environment, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- £250 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- Udemy learning access
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you will be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS, Right to Work checks and if a specific requirement of your role a DBS (criminal records) check. Should your application progress we require you to let the team know if there is anything you need to disclose in relation to any of these checks prior to them being undertaken, including any unspent criminal convictions.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person or held remotely.
You can expect a two-stage interview process for this position:
1st stage - An informal 30-minute video call with the hiring team to discuss your skills and relevant experience. This is a great opportunity to find out more about the role and to ask any questions you may have.
2nd Stage – A one-hour formal interview where you can expect both competency and technical questions. This can be held either in-person or remotely.
As an inclusive employer please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
If you'd like to know more about our interviews, you can find out here.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.