Search by job title or keyword
Assistant Buyer - Own Brand Womenswear (12 month FTC)
We are The Very Group and we’re here to help families get more out of life. We know that our customers work hard for their families and have a lot to balance in their busy lives. That’s why we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options on Very.co.uk to help them say yes to the things they love. We’re just as passionate about helping our people get more out of life too; building careers with real growth, a sense of purpose, belonging and well-being.
About the team
Our Buying team have some of the best minds in fashion and retail and is leading the way in finding the next trends and products.
We’re excited to share an opportunity for a high-reaching, creative and dedicated individual looking to expand their buying career.
About the role
We have an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Buyer on Own Brand Womenswear. You’ll report directly to the Buyer for the area and manage a Buying Assistant so lots of opportunities to further develop your skills.
Day to day you will be meeting and handling supplier relationships, working closely with the design team to develop a commercial range suited to our customer, and producing and communicating reports at trade meetings on trends, forecasts and opportunities.
We’re looking for an Experienced Assistant Buyer who can confidently run their own department with support and can demonstrate a strong understanding and passion for Buying. You will be confident in presenting sign-offs to Heads Of as well as strategy meetings and trade meetings.
The skills and behaviours imperative to being a successful Assistant Buyer candidate are; methodical, passionate, strong communication skills, can demonstrate initiative, has a strong eye for product, understand the current market/competition and you must have excellent attention to detail.
- Able to deputise for the Buyer in key meetings.
- Liaison with Senior Management Team and can clearly articulate category performance.
- Trading actions – identifying how to improve best sellers and identifying worst sellers and minimising risk.
- UK supplier appointments and negotiation with the support of the manager.
- Critical path management including product approvals and leading the garment fit process.
- Relationship management: both internally and externally will be important, building positive relationships to improve commercial opportunities.
- Commercial awareness: Awareness of the market is key, keeping track of competitor activity, market trends and price positioning.
- Ensuring weekly checks of imagery, price and relevant copy.
- Management of a buying assistant in the team, providing development and career progression.
- Sample management, chasing samples ahead of sign-offs, collating fit samples, liaising with VM teams to ensure visibility of sign-off product per month.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- Inclusive culture and environment, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- £250 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- Udemy learning access
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and DBS check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person or held remotely.
You can expect a two-stage interview process for this position:
1st stage - An informal 30-minute video call with the hiring team to discuss your skills and relevant experience. This is a great opportunity to find out more about the role and to ask any questions you may have.
2nd Stage – A one-hour formal interview where you can expect both competency and technical questions as well as a SWOT presentation on the own brand (Everyday and V by Very) womenswear ranges. This will be ideally held in-person.
As an inclusive employer please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
If you'd like to know more about our interviews, you can find out here.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.