Search by job title or keyword
Category Manager - Home - Beds
We’re The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people. I am currently looking for a Category Manager for Beds, our 2nd largest category in the home division based in our Head Office in Speke, Liverpool.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
We are looking for a driven, ambitious and energetic Category Manager to join the Home team and provide key singular commercial accountability for the Beds category, the 2nd largest in the Home division. This role is due to an internal move within Retail.
As well as working alongside some of our key brands such as, Silentnight and Airsprung the position offers significant breadth with day to day responsibility for key performance indicators. The category is split across branded and own brand so the role will encompass, ongoing range development (both UK and overseas), stock position, supply chain management, development of trading plans, whilst being able to demonstrate the profitable deployment of marketing specific to the category with the support of robust DI.
Importantly, you’ll also be responsible for leading, supporting and helping develop a high performing team which consists of a Forecasting & Stock Planner and 3 Category Assistants.
- Full end to end financial accountability of the departmental category, with daily responsibility for Sales, Margin, Stock, Cash, Returns and Supplier Contributions/Terms
- Required to develop and source a fit for purpose compelling range which meets the demands of our customer, is aligned to observable market trends and is built upon historic internal insight whilst being ultimately aligned to the divisional framework
- Responsible for the development and management of the category’s promotional & price proposition which drives the most profitable outcome, whilst also delivering headline Sales growth expectations
- Demonstrate a continual curiosity to interpret data/insight, with the aim of driving P&L efficiencies/reduction in the cost base versus category return i.e. assortment optimisation, operational efficiency, minimising product returns
- Fully accountable for supplier relationships including the on boarding of new partners that fill a specific need/gap for the category whilst also managing the ongoing supplier base with the aim of improving commercial terms and ensuring commitments and high standards remain
- Responsible for the development of the category forecasts aligned to a fit for purpose trading plan. The work primarily will be delivered by the Forecast & Inventory Planner role; however, the Category Manager will stand by forecasted outcomes providing singular accountability
- Responsible for the ongoing sell through performance with Forecast & Inventory Planners supporting to maximise sell through, margin outcomes & maintaining good availability levels
- Responsible for the ongoing stock and cash position vs budgeted volumes, applying key decisions on future intake/long stocks in the most optimal way
- Accountability for the end to end customer experience (not limited to website) for the specific category. This includes
- Trading - a fit for purpose promotional plan which meets the needs of the Budget, the creative expression/articulation of the product offer to the customer and the merchandising of the range within the websites.
- Marketing - The ongoing assessment/interpretation of CRM, Email, Social and all forms of Digital marketing channel activity, analysing the commercial effect the activity is having on day to day performance
- Leadership - Team developmental is important within TVG. The Category Manager will be expected to continually seek to develop all high performing individuals within the team and laydown concise development plans where skillset development is required, and performance manage if required
- Accountability within approved headcount/grades to devise the most optimal team set-up to meet the daily demands of the category
- FS – collaboration with the Financial Services team to ensure that we provide our customers with the best options to buy the products they want at key times
Essential knowledge, skills, role specific qualifications:
- Solution and delivery focused - a decision maker who can work under pressure, obsess over the customer, and make the right choices to benefit their experience.
- Demonstrates strategic thinking & strong commercial acumen
- Ideally experience in a multiple retail/Multi Channel business with significant online presence
- Beds experience is desirable
- Demonstrable experience leading and engaging large teams
- The ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Champions what is right for the business, team and customer
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Adapts to change and demonstrates resilience
- Values and behaviours – able to clearly demonstrate ability to live our values
- £1000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health awareness training programme
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- Up to 25% staff discount across the categories
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity so if you're interested to find out more please contact Kieran Grundy in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status