Search by job title or keyword
Commercial Solicitor (Fixed term contract)
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work, as part of this change we have now introduced a new flexible way of working meaning our new working week is split between working from home and working from the office.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
We are looking for a qualified solicitor, based from our Head Office in South Liverpool, to provide maternity cover under a fixed term contract providing commercial and pragmatic legal advice right across all areas of The Very Group, identifying risks and advising on ways to address them.
About the role
This role represents a great opportunity to work within a critical support function of a major digital retailer and financial services provider. This role will cover a broad range of commercial contracts, including IT, marketing, consultancy, logistics, sponsorship and general procurement. An understanding of aspects of intellectual property, data protection, distance selling and e-commerce would also be beneficial.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- Contract review, drafting and negotiation for a range of different agreements.
- Maintaining extensive knowledge of UK legal and regulatory developments affecting The Very Group’s activities and the retail and financial services marketplace and identifying potential legal and regulatory change to ensure impacts are sufficiently understood and mitigated.
- Maintaining effective relationships with all relevant business areas through a pragmatic, commercial and business focussed approach and demonstrating a sound understanding of business processes within the Group, the interdependencies between them and the impact upon them of external legal and regulatory changes.
- Application of analytical and process skills, specialist knowledge and innovative thinking to offer support and guidance on complex legal and operational problems.
- Effective communication and influencing skills, with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical legal issues to non-subject matter experts at all levels and the confidence to challenge and escalate appropriately.
- Providing guidance and training to staff in a variety of departments, raising awareness of legal and regulatory risks relevant to them.
- Supporting a range of commercial projects within The Very Group business.
- Ability to work independently and use own initiative whilst having the support of senior lawyers within the team.
- Ability to manage competing demands and to work under pressure
We are looking for a Commercial Solicitor or Legal Counsel within a broad commercial role.
You must be able to demonstrate sound commercial awareness and judgement, logical problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal and team skills.
You will have effective communication and influencing skills with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical issues to non-subject matter experts. Personality fit with the team and with The Very Group Culture and Values are critical.
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays (pro rota for fixed-term contract)
- Flexible working culture
- Up to 25% colleague discount
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status