Search by job title or keyword
Senior Data Engineer
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work. The role itself will be a mix of on-site vs remote, we've adapted well to remote ways of working and will continue to embrace those practices moving forward.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent?
About the role
We are on quite an ambitious journey to modernise our Data domain, using new cutting edge technology. This Data domain feeds our Data Science, Analytics, Strategy and Engineering teams.
This role will sit within the Data Acquisition team and involves replicating data from our source systems to our Data Lake. More specifically, you'll be installing, configuring and maintaining our change data capture solution.
SLAs, cost efficiency, business and analytical needs are all things that you'll be bearing in mind and working towards and you'll be automating ingestion feeds and providing appropriate alerting & monitoring.
We focus on attracting good all round people to the business, as opposed to basing it purely on a technical skill set. Our cultural side of things is just as important as the technical side. Obviously you'd need certain experience to be able to carry out the role efficiently, so I have listed a few below:
- Experience with Change Data Capture tools such as HVR & Goldengate
- Experience with one or more programming language such as Java, Python, SQL or Scala
- Cloud technology experience (AWS, Azure or Google Cloud)
- Hadoop, RDS, S3 Auto-Scaling or Lambda experience is nice to have
- Benefits allowance (use to add things like healthcare, life assurance etc)
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health trained first aiders across the business
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.