Search by job title or keyword
Data Ops Architect
Data Ops Architect
Here at The Very Group, we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and build even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We support diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around multi-functional teams we call squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each team is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.About the role:
We have embarked on an ambitious journey, to modernise our Data domain working with new
Groundbreaking technology working within the Data Science, Analytics, Strategy and Engineering team.
The Data Governance and Data Ops function is a new team within the DNA domain. The Data Architect is responsible for the overall design for the data and its lifecycle across TVG ensuring customer data is protected and aligned to GDPR.
This is a lead role and requires someone who can set the direction, coach, lead and support teams on architecting data flow best practice. This is also a technical role and will require you to work alongside the Heads of Tech.
The data architect will ensure end to end delivery of data from ingestion to value driven and designed, tested and embedded into an operating model that is scalable to be replicated across teams.Day to day:
Lead best practice of Data Management across DNA providing support and guidance to the teams via nominated Data Stewards. Be responsible for the data catalog roadmap working with our chosen supplier.
Accountable for the technical delivery for data ensuring teams adhere to best practice for data storage, flows and data lifecycle.
Has a can-do demeanor to mitigating data risk.
Line management duties conducting regular 1-1s and performance reviews may be part of the role.
- Lead the overall design for initiatives ensuring data requirements conform to external policies e.g. GDPR and internal Data Retention.
- Write and publish designs for new data initiatives making showing the data flows through systems.
- Sets the expectations to CDO, Data Management and Governance Manager and peers around progress on data management work.
- Builds and maintains strong collaborative relationships across the wider The Very Group community working cross functionally.
- Applies Data Governance principles and standards around work you're doing.
- Ensures data is kept secure in line with GDPR e.g PII and that appropriate mitigations are enforced to protect customer data at all times.
The Data Architect is a strong leader promoting and ensuring all teams adhere to Data Management standard methodology e.g. data lifecycle and data privacy. In summary:-
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python or SQL.
- Experience of working within a Data Management function leading the implementation of a data catalog
- Owns the technical delivery of an operating model that can be scaled for a data catalog rollout.
- Be technically accountable for the end to end solution design ensuring all collaborators are on board and agree prior to implementation.
- The issue point and approval point for all data relating matters e.g deletion strategy, new feeds from suppliers, new systemic metadata changes.
- Accountable for the roadmap for the Data Catalog tooling working with our chosen supplier. This is in collaboration with the Technical Data Steward.
- Experience with implementing data quality tooling across multiple data sources.
- Has an in depth understanding of the GDPR regulation and can educate others.
- Is able to deliver updates to Directors, senior leaders on new initiatives or general updates.
- Worked within a cloud environment, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Experience or knowledge Data Warehousing Technologies and data lakes using large sets of data.
- Has delivered and led a number large scale data migrations working to tight timescales.
- Familiar and works in agile ways of working.
- Ensures data initiatives meets DPO, Data Governance policies.
- Understanding of data lifecycle and understands data retention policies.
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment.
- Superb communication skills and can articulate technical challenges to a non technical person.
- Thrives on change ensuring that you stay ahead of new upcoming Data Management technologies through attending regular forums, meet ups or online courses.
- Enjoys developing through organised or self development; passionate to progress career at The Very Group.
- A leader who is able to mitigating blockers positively that may be hindering progress.
- Flexible, hybrid working model; top rated on Glassdoor
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Onsite gyms with over 25 classes
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Data looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more, please contact the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please also apply via the careers page as an internal applicant.More About us
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,500-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. A unique digital business, we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most. And we’ve been doing it for over a century – moving from catalogues to bricks to pureplay online retail, consistently reinventing the way our customers shop and our people work to help them get the most out of life every day.
When you join Very, you’re joining a dynamic, successful and constantly developing organisation that’s determined to fulfil its promise, as well as the promise of everyone it serves. You’ll work in an environment that is fast-paced, customer-focused, inclusive, caring and vibrant, with people who share a commitment to helping everyone – customers and Very people alike – live life well.
If you’re inventive, positive, collaborative and responsible with an energy to create the best possible life for yourself and others…then come and join us!Equal opportunities
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.