Search by job title or keyword
Opportunities in our Data Science community:
Our Data Science teams work across the business in several areas to help drive innovative, collaborative and iterative solutions to challenging problems. You will work closely with various business areas to drive insights, improve our products and create help more effective solutions. Typical Data Science projects may involve Experimentation, Marketing, Retail and Operations or Digital Product and CX. The key thing that all our teams do is support our business colleagues to make ambitious data driven decisions that drive value for our business and our customers.What we do:
Data Science at The Very Group utilises sophisticated analytical techniques and statistical modelling to support many areas of the business and contribute to their success. This can range from working on how we measure and optimise our marketing spend, how we make stock purchasing decisions, to how do we diagnose the crucial customer challenges in our digital customer experience and make recommendations to improve them.Some of our key wins recently have included:
- The introduction of a new Digital Attribution report to help our marketing teams operate more optimally.
- Successfully launched a suite of individual product recommendations within email communications.
- The adoption of a Quasi-Experimentation methodology to provide teams with a greater level of understanding of the impact changes in marketing and financial products have on our customers.
- We launched a new methodology for analysing customer feedback as part of our NPS survey which helps us to diagnose customer problems more efficiently.
- A successful internal hackathon where several colleagues from across the business joined forces to solve key data challenges.
- Launched demand forecasting models to help make effective product planning and buying decisions.
These recent wins within the team highlight the importance of the function to the business. Demand for the team is always greater than what we can meet. Data is at the very heart of our business with board level visibility of many of the projects we work on.How we work:
The Data Science team works with many different parts of our business, adopting working styles to best suit the collaboration. Our business is moving towards a Tribe and Product structures which provides our data science teams the opportunity to work closer to the business problem. The team champions innovation and a pioneering spirit for constant development. Our teams are empowered to work on complex projects and develop a strong culture of friendship and collaboration. We encourage our team members to feel part of the wider data community across the business.
What do we look for?
You will be an outcome driven data scientist, comfortable working as part of a wider team. You will have a proven ability to solve problems and establish working relationships with others. It is vitally important that you are eager to learn, to get involved and to work on a number of different challenges and business problems. The Very Group is a constantly evolving place to work and being comfortable with change and embracing it as an opportunity to develop personally and professionally is crucial. Collaboration and knowledge sharing are vitally important and encouraged within the team.
Learning and self-development are embedded within the team's ethos. We value the importance of building individual skills that can contribute to the team's success, but are also dedicated to giving you opportunities to learn as a team through the process of delivery.
What does the role require?
- A quantitative degree such as Computer Science, Mathematics or Science degree, ideally at a post-graduate level, though prior relevant experience also acceptable.
- Has a good theoretical command of a range of different models and analytical techniques. An awareness of basic statistical methods is desirable but not crucial.
- Has knowledge of Data Science techniques gained through academic study or practical experience.
- Proficient in at least one framework (SAS, R or Python) with an ability to produce readable, well-structured reusable code. Able to demonstrate experience in data wrangling, cleaning and pre-processed data.
- Eager to learn and develop technical skills – also happy to share knowledge with others.
- A proven track record to solve problems, anticipate issues and challenges in data processes and able to find opportunities to improve processes and ways of working.
- Has strong written and verbal communication. Able to take people on a journey with them. An ability to tailor your communications to non technical audiences is important.
- Working with key business partners to embed a sophisticated culture of Experimentation, helping teams to make the right business decisions using robust evidence and reliable data.
- Responsibilities will cover assisting in the design of experiments to help teams generate and test hypotheses, as well as interpreting results to maximise findings and prove real value across the business.
- There will be opportunities to research and help build sophisticated testing tools which will contribute to a market-leading Experimentation platform. Finding opportunities to improve the quality of existing solutions through the addition of new data or application of alternative Data Science techniques
- Supporting the business partners to identify the right questions to enable meaningful strategic decisions, translating those questions into data science problems & choosing appropriate models to solve it.
- Contributing to improving Data Science methodologies code base at The Very Group.
- Building trust and credibility with stakeholders. Working in several different ways and team structures.
- Defining problems, scoping and planning projects. Self-managing the delivery of objectives as part of a team. Proactively trying to solve blockers.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- a Flexible benefits allowance (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Matched pension at 6%
- 1x Life Assurance / Private Medical* Grade specific
- Brand discount up to 25%
- Cycle to work scheme
- 27 - 30 days holiday + bank holidays *Grade specific
- Free on-site parking *subject to post code
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Flexible working
How to apply.
If you're interested to find out more please contact the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
If you are an internal candidate looking to refer someone in please follow the referrals process and guidelines
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.