Search by job title or keyword
Despatch Transport Manager
We’re The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people. I am currently looking for a Despatch Transport Manager to join our the team, based in our state of the art fulfiment centre, Skygate, in the East Midlands.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
The Despatch Transport Manager will lead the people and processes within the Despatch area of the fulfilment centre, ensuring total compliance with 'O' license regulations.
We are looking for an experienced, CPC qualified Despatch Manager who has experience of an automated sortation environment, to lead the despatch team made up of 4 Shift Managers and 8 indirect reports including the despatch office and shunters. It would also be responsible for the delivery and controls within the logistics budget.
The role holder will form strong stakeholder relationships with our external transport provider and the internal management team.
- You will oversee the accurate sortation of the parcels to ensure this is achieved inline with Key Performance Indicators.
- Supervise and manage the day to day operations of the yard maintaining strong relationships with our external transport providers - be the named O license holder across the site
- Develop and continuously improve the Yard operations including the outbound logistics processes, by keeping track of key performance indicators and making adjustments where required.
- Co-ordinate transport to maximise loading efficiencies, minimise costs and meet delivery deadlines.
- Responsibility of budget cost control in operational areas and ensure the delivery of plans through the teams
- Ensure the shift managers are managing and planning staffing levels across shifts, working with other areas in the fulfilment centre to re-assign resource if and when required to ensure customer demand and other KPIs are met
- Ensure correlation and traceability of items dispatched and as received on sites
- Minimise waste and rework by maintaining accurate tracking and traceability of WIP and finished goods.
- Ensure the teams minimise stock inaccuracy through effective process management and adherence
- Liaise and communicate regularly with key stakeholders on delivery performance and schedules
- Driving the performance and development of your team, while excising good judgement to ensure the delivery of excellent customer experience.
- Participate in regular reviews of operational process, the maintenance of SOPs and risk assessments
- Carry out full yard checks and 5S review audits, addressing anything that is not in line with required standards.
- Carry out necessary supervision and inspections to ensure standards, specifications and quality requirements are met and ensure that customer expectations are being achieved.
- Promoting a culture of “Health and Safety First” ensuring all vehicles are compliant with transport regulations
- All applicants must hold a Transport Management CPC
- Ideally automated sortation experience within parcels or e-commerce fulfilment
- You will have strong communication skills with the ability to inspire, motivate and manage team.
- Excellent stakeholder management
- Customer focussed and aware of the external and internal requirements for quality, efficiency and accuracy
- Adaptable. Proactive, team player, keen to seek out and develop talent in the team
- Experience of being responsible for decision making across all elements of a time critical complex operation
- Proven track of continuous improvement/Lean techniques for enhanced efficiency and quality of service
- Computer/IT and spreadsheet working skills. Some experience on TMS would be advantageous
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
A competitive salary and package is available for the successful candidate.
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about operations looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Kieran Grundy in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please apply via Talent Online as an internal applicant.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.