Search by job title or keyword
Engineering Manager (DCX)
About the team
Here at The Very Group we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge!
About the Tribe
The Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe is striving to create world class customer experiences across our Mobile and Web platforms. We are in control of building this exciting future and are looking for like-minded individuals to help make this a reality. We need people to help us on this journey as we strive to define, design, build and run frictionless experiences that sets The Very Group apart from other online retailers in delighting our customers.
- Node.js + React.js
- ECS, Lambda, API-Gateway, Dynamo, Step Functions
- Java, Springboot
- Native Mobile in Java/Kotlin + Swift/Swift UI
About the role
As an Engineering Manager in our engineering enablement team, you will be responsible for leading and line managing a team of Software, Platform and QA Engineers. This role is both line management (70%) and hands-on (30%). The vision of the team is to make it as easy as possible for a team to develop new products and infrastructure via self-service of infrastructure, tooling, and templates, so stream aligned teams can focus on the business value they are adding and their features, while reducing the cognitive load of setting up CI/CD, infrastructure creation and updates and ongoing maintenance of their systems and infrastructure.
We also care deeply about developer education and onboarding and work on improving our training and systems for learning so that developers become productive faster.
As an Engineering Manager you will have the following responsibilities:
- Reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager you will lead a team of Software, Platform and QA Engineers across a broad, and ever-changing, range of technologies – takes responsibility for the personal development and performance of each member in the team, developing both technical skills and behaviours.
- Responsible for the full lifecycle of the technical products and services with your squad, driving best practice and leading by example.
- Work closely with engineering managers and engineers across DCX squads to make sure we are balancing quality and flow with delivery of great enhancements to the end-to-end engineering experience. You will manage the delivery of all aspects of the platforms from development, unit testing, automated deployment, to coaching and mentoring other team members.
- Looking at the continuous improvement of our tools and processes, along with helping to guide the architectural direction of our platform. Proactively drive the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes across the and wider tech teams.
- Work alongside the Head of Technology, Senior Engineer Manager and Architects to contribute to the technology vision and roadmap.
- Manage resourcing plans and recruitment for Engineers within your Squad.
What you’ll bring
- Previous experience of building and leading high performing software and/or platform engineering teams working in Agile environments, aligned to DevOps culture.
- A strong grounding in security and experience working with engineering teams to instil a DevSecOps mindset.
- You should have experience with modern practices like XP, Software Craftsmanship, Agile, and CI/CD.
- As the role will centre heavily on improving and building tools for our infrastructure and CI/CD, you’ll need experience with IaC and related tooling, such as Terraform and CI/CD tooling such as Jenkins, CodePipeline, CodeBuild and CodeDeploy.
- You will have a strong understanding of AWS, and a wide range of its services, including IAM, networking and messaging services (e.g. SQS, SNS).
- Experience in helping a team’s reach consensus on challenging decisions and promoting a healthy level of debate and encourage dialogue between the Engineers.
- Experience in proactively spotting opportunities to further enhance the existing platforms.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Experienced in managing any individual performance issues.
- A strong collaborator and communicator.
- Confident and comfortable to share stories internally and externally to build our Very Group brand and credibility to attract and retain talent.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £6,500 Flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people, so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.