Search by job title or keyword
Group Planning Manager
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the Team.
The finance function seeks to create and protect the future of the company. And it needs to be reinvented.
We aim to create a new way of doing finance – inspired by the agile digital philosophy and grounded in the approach of squads and tribes. We want the Very way of doing finance to be the new normal. We’re excited by the level of change this will involve.
To achieve this aim we need to attract diverse talent into the team. People with passion, ambition, a preference for the innovative, team builders, and relationship creators. We’re fans of people who love to learn (and fail).
About the Role.
The role sits within the Group Planning & Performance team responsible for the creation and timely, quality submission of in-year financial plans, such as the budget and rolling forecasts, continually iterating, and improving approach to meet the strategic goals of the Group. The role shall span all financial statements and impacts across both the Retail and Financial Services side of the business.
Benchmarking FTSE 100 planning best practice and with a high personal bar of continuous improvement, use business relationships that add insight and align the planning process with delivery of the Very Group’s strategy.
Success in the role demands timely delivery of accurate information that has been cross-checked across reporting that communicates a clear message or action to the user and is contextualised against the total Group’s performance. A team player who will support the whole planning process to meet consolidation and reporting deadlines.
- Support ownership of all group planning processes, ensuring they are managed to deadline and that both the forecast process and its delivery is well understood
- Lead the consolidation of primary financial statements through planning events
- Lead the preparation and delivery of supporting analysis for key planning processes
- Lead the maintenance of planning systems and standardised analysis
- Proactively assist setting and communicating an annual planning calendar & event specific timetables for budgets and forecasts
- Ensure communications are in place to enable adherence to deadlines
- Understand the drivers of group performance in order to interpret the validity of the groups forecast assumptions
- Search for ways to continuously drive improvement of planning processes
- Deliver frequent updates in planning reporting and process improvements
- The role also involves ad hoc analysis which may require direct interaction with various management levels, including Exec
- Develop relationships that allow open communication across finance enabling effective process delivery
- Qualified accountant with 1-3 years post-qualified experience. Experience in Oracle EPM products desirable
- A self-starter with the confidence to provide opinion and with the desire & charisma to develop highly productive stakeholder relationships
- Be comfortable in tasking the business with deadline & target adherence
- Possess a willingness to learn and adapt to new ways of working
- Flexibility, and desire, to manage divergence and/or ambiguity and be comfortable working to tight deadlines under pressure
- Be able to evidence experience of having developed financial planning models
- Able to challenge upwards and cross-functionally and welcomes being challenged
- Technically excellent with the ability to deal with complexity and communicate complex financial matters in simple terms
- First-class analytical skills with the ability to interpret critical information and data
- You will seek ways to contribute to wider Planning and Performance team beyond role scope
- Enthusiastic with relentless desire to develop
- Demonstrable organisational skills and the experience of complex financial processes
- Excellent written and presentational skills with the ability to prepare material for exec level discussion
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working culture
- Onsite gym
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing,footwear and home and 15% off electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.