Search by job title or keyword
Head of Accounting and Reporting
About the Team.
The finance function seeks to create and protect the future of the company. And it needs to be reinvented!
We aim to create a new way of doing finance – inspired by the agile digital philosophy and grounded in the approach of squads and tribes. We want the Very way of doing finance to be the new normal. We’re excited by the level of change this will involve.
To achieve this aim we need to attract diverse talent into the team. People with passion, ambition, a preference for the innovative, team builders, and relationship creators. We’re fans of people who love to learn (and fail)!
About the Role.
This is an integral role within the senior finance leadership team here at The Very Group. This role will be responsible for all aspects of accounting, policy, audit, financial reporting through to management accounts and Board reporting, performance reporting and the rolling forecast facilitating operational decision making.
The role leads a team of 5 direct reports and a wider team of circa 17 people, so requires an inspirational and confident leader who can lead these teams through change and develop a high performing team.
The role holder will be expected to build relationships across the function and wider business, landing continuous improvement in the core processes, creating a centre of excellence for financial control and deepening the business’ understanding of financial performance to meet the strategic goals of the Group.
You will continuously provide forward Policy and risk visibility, challenge and analysis of the group's financial performance and optimisation of the reporting cycles. You will ensure senior stakeholders are engaged and that they have accurate financial information to make good strategic or operational decisions.
You must role model high standards of integrity and desire, displaying initiative & effectiveness and have the intellectual capacity to deal with complex issues. You will have proven success in growing your team’s performance and have exacting standards. This is a highly visible role requiring an inspirational leader for both the team and for the wider function sponsoring team development, cross-functional working and agile methodologies.
Success in the role demands an innovative leader who within a fast-paced, ambiguous environment inspires confidence, displays influence and impact whom can build excellent working relationships, adding insight and aligning processes with a FTSE 60 business and toward delivery of the Very Group’s strategy.
- Lead, motivate, and develop a team to create and maintain an effective financial controls environment and protect the assets of the business.
- Establish and provide inspirational leadership to a best-in-class team across the function ensuring that robust talent management and succession plans are in place.
- Be a champion for change -drive continuous improvement and simplification across core processes and financial statutory reporting.
- Collaborate with external auditors and internal stakeholders to complete the year-end audit and statutory reporting process.
- Ensure all accounts and reports are in line with legal and regulatory compliance.
- Implementation of new IFRS accounting standards.
- Governance of strong financial control of the group balance sheet including reporting and challenge.
- Drive continuous improvement of all departmental outputs and simplification of core processes.
- Lead the Group Finance Control team to enable all deadlines to be met and to ensure that financial information is always produced to the highest standard.
- Facilitate the debate and challenge of the forecast at Exec and Board level through the rolling forecast and clearly articulated adhoc analysis.
- Lead the improvement and simplification of planning & reporting systems to develop a single source of the truth.
- Set and communicate annual calendars & event specific timetables for reporting.
- Build relationships at all levels to enable open communication across finance to drive effective team outcomes.
We know that our expectations are high, as are our ambitions as a business, and here at The Very Group we’re looking for the 5% of finance people who want to reinvent, who are champions of change, and who can inspire other leaders. Therefore, our ideal candidate will be:
- An exceptional leader who embodies The Very Groups values and has a demonstrable track record of developing colleagues and achieving high colleague engagement scores.
- A qualified accountant with current IFRS experience, you will likely be circa 10 years post-qualified.
- Technically excellent with the ability to deal with complexity and communicate complex financial matters in simple terms;
- An inspirational operator with social confidence and charisma to develop highly productive stakeholder relationships. Able and willing to challenge upwards and cross-functionally and welcomes being challenged.
- The ability to efficiently prioritise a broad range of tasks and manage multiple concurrent large financial projects to tight deadlines
- The ability to navigate and thrive successfully through a complex and demanding business.
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.