Search by job title or keyword
Head of Legal
We are The Very Group and we’re here to help families get more out of life. We know that our customers work hard for their families and have a lot to balance in their busy lives. That’s why we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options on Very.co.uk to help them say yes to the things they love. We’re just as passionate about helping our people get more out of life too, building careers with real growth, a sense of purpose, belonging and wellbeing.
About the team
The Group Legal Team support The Very Group across multiple sites, working at pace to support the business. This small but crucial team take the lead on contract negotiations and protecting us from legal and reputational risk. With commercial focus across Retail, Financial Services, and all wider operational functions, they are trusted advisors and experts when it comes to commercial processes and negotiations. The team is based in our Speke Head Office and operate a hybrid working model, based on 3 days per week in the office.
About the role
Reporting into the Group Legal Director, the Head of Legal will focus on the retail, operations, and information technology side of The Very Group business; working within the wider Legal team and managing a team of four talented legal professionals to identify and mitigate legal and reputational risk across all Group businesses.
- Managing day-to-day requirement workflows and prioritisation of resource within the Legal team to best meet business requirements.
- Building relationships with Senior leaders of multi-disciplinary cross functional teams delivering large and highly complex programmes across Retail, Operations, IT, and the wider Group.
- Leading on the negotiation, documentation, and ongoing maintenance of business-critical contractual relationships with key outsourcers and suppliers.
- Providing commentary, advice and recommendations to the Group and the Board around risks and any relevant mitigations.
- Interpreting all statutory, regulatory and court driven requirements impacting the Group.
- Providing assurance that change programmes and projects meet legal and regulatory requirements.
- Identifying legal or industry changes in the UK or Ireland affecting The Very Group and the recommendation of actions.
You will be a qualified Solicitor with extensive experience within a commercial Legal function. You will be able to evidence strong influencing and leadership skills to drive and support a team of highly experienced professionals on large and highly complex programmes.
We are also looking for the successful candidate to bring;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with a commercially aware attitude to legal and reputational risk and ability to deliver pragmatic solutions to complex legal issues.
- The ability to present complex, specialist problems and solutions in a clear and simple manner.
- Complex and specialist contract review and negotiation experience.
- 7+ years’ PQE.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- Inclusive culture and environment, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Udemy learning access
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you will be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS, Right to Work checks and if a specific requirement of your role a DBS (criminal records) check. Should your application progress we require you to let the team know if there is anything you need to disclose in relation to any of these checks prior to them being undertaken, including any unspent criminal convictions.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a call to learn more about you and your experience, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person or held remotely.
You can expect a two-stage interview process for this position:
1st stage – An on-site interview with two Senior members of the Legal team, competency based with view to get full insight into your background and experience. This stage will include an exercise.
2nd stage – An on-site interview with the Group Legal Director.
As an inclusive employer please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
If you'd like to know more about our interviews, you can find out here.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.