Search by job title or keyword
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work, as part of this change we have now introduced a new flexible way of working meaning our new working week is split between working from home and working from the office.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the role.
The Very Group are looking for a newly qualified solicitor to provide commercial and pragmatic legal advice across all areas of the Group, identifying risks and advising on ways to address them. A background in financial services or consumer regulation together with experience of litigation is preferable, but candidates without such experience will still be considered provided they have the enthusiasm and interest to work in these areas of law.
About the role
This role represents a great opportunity to work within a critical support function of a major digital retailer and financial services provider with an exposure to a broad range of practice areas. The successful candidate will work alongside the ten lawyers within The Very Group legal team. The role will require an understanding of the implications of operating within a regulated financial services environment, specifically for consumer credit and insurance products. It will include:
- advising on FCA rules and guidance applicable to consumer credit and insurance, together with broader regulatory requirements applicable to the Group as a whole, including data protection, distance selling, e-commerce and marketing regulation;
- drafting and reviewing terms and conditions for new and existing financial services products;
- litigation and dispute resolution, primarily at county court level, on retail and financial services issues, including representing the Group at court hearings;
- the negotiation of a broad range of commercial contracts, including IT, consultancy and general procurement;
- providing structured training and on the job guidance to staff in a variety of departments, raising awareness of legal and regulatory risks relevant to them;
- supporting a range of change projects within The Very Group.
The values and culture of The Very Group is critical for us, and so someone who is empowered and committed to deliver is important. You will be reliable and trustworthy with the ability to build great relationships. We’re at our best when we focus, support each other and celebrate our progress and so someone with the same mindset is important to us.
You must possess sound commercial awareness and judgement, logical problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal and team skills. As an in-house lawyer advising a broad range of colleagues you will need effective communication and influencing skills with the ability to convey the implications of complex technical issues to non-subject matter experts at all levels and the confidence to challenge and escalate appropriately. You will be able to work independently and use your own initiative whilst having the support of senior lawyers within the team and you will be expected to manage competing demands and to work under pressure.
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working culture
- Up to 25% colleague discount
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, vet