Search by job title or keyword
About the team
Our Platform Engineers design and deliver our Cloud infrastructure. With a desire to automate everything they will drive integration between our Cloud infrastructure, our on-site applications and our 3rd party partners.
We look for people who have an Agile mindset. People who can help us by working within cross-functional teams to constantly review business requests and help define the most efficient way to get quality in front of our customer as quickly as possible.
To do this at pace and scale we fully understand that ‘failing fast’ is better than never succeeding!
For us, automation is the key to easy, consistent repetition and keep this at the front of your mind with all design decisions.
A bit about the Tribe
The role will sit within a Squad in one of our core Technical Tribes (FS, Customer Care, Retail, Logistics and Digital Customer Experience or Platform Engineering)
The Tribe working model differs drastically from traditional cross-functional teams that typically focus on a single project. Our squads are essentially small start-ups that will take on multiple projects at a time, and they will build a part of the product, or even create a full new product. Since each squad has contributors or owners from every domain – from engineering to product, or mobile to design – any squad has the breadth and the depth in terms of skill for end-to-end ownership.
What will you be supporting?
- Ensuring the cloud platforms/solutions are fit for purpose based on business need and criticality, while keeping platform usage costs and utilisation in mind.
- Assisting on the optimal end-to-end delivery pipeline for the squad’s code.
- Monitoring and reporting usage of our cloud solutions.
- Advise on the selection of the most appropriate technologies for the task.
- Ensure delivery pipeline for your IaaS code has optimal quality controls built-in to support testing, deployment, reporting and task management.
- Selection of appropriate quality controls to complete assigned tasks, including; code driven deployment; infrastructure deployment; automated testing; and effective operational monitoring, alerting and incident responses.
- Supply appropriate information and analysis to support resolution of issues and incidents in the “Run” of squad applications.
- You’ll already have significant commercial experience of using AWS Services including EC2, ECS, Serverless (Lambda).
- Background and relevant current experience in a hands-on Platform Engineering role is needed.
- An understanding of security techniques including Firewalls/Security Groups, Threat Modelling, Dependency Management.
- You'll know how to debug a complex, high availability production environments.
- Networking knowledge, load balancing, CDN’s etc.
- Knowledge of IaaS deployment tools such as Terraform.
- Working knowledge of continuous integration and source control systems such as Jenkins and GitLab.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and driving your own platform engineering practices as a self-starter, including a strong desire (inc. examples) to learn new technologies.
- Demonstrable range of in-depth technical knowledge/experience in building and handling complex software and platform architectures, ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- In-depth level of technical knowledge/experience in building cloud solutions that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- Technical knowledge of Oracle Fusion Middleware or IBM Order Management would be desirable, though not essential.
- Relevant AWS certifications would be helpful.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £250-£1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs (dependent on role grade)
- 27-30 days holiday + bank holidays (dependent on role grade)
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are handling this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people, so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.