Search by job title or keyword
Principal Machine Learning Engineer
We are The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
About the role
We are looking for a talented platform developer to help lead us through the next phase of growth. Highly ambitious and disruptive, our Data Organisation (DNA) are about to revolutionise our advanced analytics and machine learning capability.
You understand data is the most powerful business enabler beyond people, you have a clear vision of how machine learning will continue to transform organisations, and you are looking for a new exciting opportunity to use your skills as a developer.
- Work directly with business stakeholders on machine learning platforms and products to ensure development is targeted towards sustainable deployment and growth
- Provide thought leadership in analytical teams, processes and platforms (people, systems, process)
- Be a ‘hand’s on’ platform developer, responsible for the deployment of advanced tooling across the data organisation.
Nature and Area of impact:
- Machine Learning has a direct and indirect influence on the way we interact with customers, from customer campaign selection to product recommendation to credit decisioning – machine learning has a positive impact on how we interact with customers.
- Successful data products significantly improve business performance through increases in sales and return and/or reduction in risk.
The Data Tribe
Our working model differs drastically from traditional organisations where team members are often constrained by isolated, small scale, deliverables. Our squads operate like small start-ups that take on multiple projects in order to work collaboratively toward high quality, sustainable solutions. In joining the Analytical Platform squad, you will be supported by colleagues with the breadth of skills required for end-to-end ownership of key deliverables.
What you need
- Proven track record of delivering machine learning and/or platforms at scale
- Good understanding of machine learning domain and workflow, informed from practical experience
- Able to define problems, scope and plan projects. Is able to self-manage the delivery of their objectives as part of a team.
- Can demonstrate experience building trust and credibility with stakeholders; has the ability to simplify complexity for people who aren't technical experts.
- Highly proficient in at least one programming framework such as Python, Java or Scala with an ability to produce readable, well-structured, reusable code.
- Experience of AWS services and infrastructure development through Teraform/Cloud formation utilising CI/DI principles.
What we can offer
- Market-leading salary (commensurate with your experience)
- Up to 14% bonus
- £1000 of flexible benefits allowance (can take part as a salary uplift)
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to purchase 5 additional days
- 6% matched pension
- Remote/office split post Covid (fully remote for now)
- Brand discount up to 25%
- Ongoing training and development
What to do next
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Jordan Barlow or Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.