Search by job title or keyword
Senior Android Developer
About the team
The Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe is striving to create a world class customer experience across our Mobile and Web platforms. We are in control of building this exciting future and are looking for like-minded individuals to help make this a reality. We need people with strong backgrounds in digital retail to help us on this journey as we strive to define, design, build and run frictionless experiences that sets The Very Group apart from other online retailers.
About the role
We are looking for Lead Android Engineer to joining our Mobile App Squad. As a team we are focussed on creating a high-quality codebase using the latest Android best practises. The app is written in Kotlin, and we have recently adopted Jetpack Compose as our preferred approach for developing UI.
You will be responsible for designing, building and running mobile software solutions in an agile delivery squad. This role is hands-on, you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll help shape best practices in software engineering, then both work with and coach other squad members into driving and ensuring high quality solutions.
The role will involve
- Working with the Software Engineering Lead to provide technical leadership and direction for the Android apps
- Providing input into the overall design and architecture of the Applications
- Providing guidance and support to more junior members of the team
- Performing Code reviews and contribute to improving our development and delivery processes
- Producing well designed, well tested code for the Android applications
What you’ll bring
We are looking for experienced Mobile Software Engineers on the Android platform with the following skills and experience:
- Strong Kotlin experience for Android
- Strong knowledge of mobile design patterns including MVVM
- Unit testing + TDD experience
- UI Testing experience
- Understanding and experience of RESTful JSON API’s
- Understanding and experience of applying SOLID principles
- Good knowledge of the Android Jetpack Components
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £1000 Flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.