Search by job title or keyword
Senior Commercial Finance Manager
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the Team.
The finance function seeks to create and protect the future of the company. And it needs to be reinvented.
We aim to create a new way of doing finance – inspired by the agile digital philosophy and grounded in the approach of squads and tribes. We want the Very way of doing finance to be the new normal. We’re excited by the level of change this will involve.
To achieve this aim we need to attract diverse talent into the team. People with passion, ambition, a preference for the innovative, team builders, and relationship creators. We’re fans of people who love to learn (and fail).
About the Role.
This Senior Commercial Finance Manager will be responsible for the business partnering of a Retail Division and its Senior Management Team to deliver In Year performance and Future/Strategic Ambitions.
(1) In year performance
Understand what the key things are that will make the biggest difference to the performance of the Division and what the best way is to deliver and accelerate this.
The role is not about preparing reports and analysis, this role is focused on understanding performance insights and then bringing them to life in a way that allows them to influence a Division to deliver and accelerate performance.
(2) Future ambitions
The role is equally about being part of the strategic direction of the Division, which will mean providing finance, market/business intelligence, as well a leadership to the strategic plans in the Division. This should cover all elements from strategy generation to delivery.
A mindset that is focused on making a difference
- An individual that doesn’t gets lost in the day to day noise. Someone that can work with their business to define what will making the biggest difference to performance in year and in future years and get it delivered.
- They can build strong relationships to become an integral member of the division and are brought into key decisions
- Bring their knowledge and leadership together to drive performance by being able to…
- Join the dots… (finance skills + insights + in/external business knowledge),
- Form clear opinions (when sometimes the world will be going crazy)
- They can communicate /influence well to different stakeholders so as to…..
A business leader… that can build strong relationships/networks, has business intelligence (finance skills, understands market & business) and knows how to make things happen
- Confirm performance on track / right decisions taken
- At times will need to influence (or challenge) the business to change direction
- Come up with new opportunities and solutions to challenges
- Anticipate and react to business needs in a timely way
A strong awareness of what drives value end to end
An individual that understands and can influence all aspects of performance… Market share; Customer/Web metrics; Demand-Sales-Margin; Working capital (Cash, Stock); Customer satisfaction; end to end profitability, financial services; Risk/Ops, cost control, suppliers, competitors
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working culture
- Onsite gym
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing,footwear and home and 15% off electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.