Search by job title or keyword
Senior Compliance Manager - SMCR & Corporate Governance
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
The Governance Team within our Financial Services business, based in Speke is looking to recruit a subject matter expert in SMCR and Corporate Governance on a 9-12 month contract. The business is looking to bring someone on board in the next 4 weeks so you'll need to be available for interviews ASAP.
The role will be a senior manager position working within the wider second line Governance, Risk and Compliance function and be accountable to the Head of Governance with responsibility for the management of the SMCR framework and for providing first class corporate governance services to the business in order to satisfy our regulatory obligations.
Key SMCR Framework responsibilities include:
- Maintaining the SMCR Framework, i.e. the compliance SMCR policy and associated process and controls
- Maintaining SMF Statements of Responsibilities and the Management Responsibilities Map
- Supporting SMFs by managing and educating on the Reasonable Steps Framework
- Preparing and processing of Senior Management Function applications
- Assisting with SMCR related projects to enhance or develop new and existing processes which includes working closely, and providing support, with Group Human Resources.
- Presenting to senior stakeholders on SMCR
- Monitoring of regulatory developments and proposing changes of systems and controls in response to emerging trends and changes of regulatory trends, specifically regarding culture, SMCR and providing oversight and challenge of HR policies, systems and controls
- Preparing and maintaining all SMCR training materials
- Preparing Board and Executive papers in relation to SMCR KPIs/KRIs
- Undertaking record keeping obligations for SMCR
- Owning the implementation of the final components of SMCR, the New Directory and Conduct Rule Reporting
- Input into and oversight of handover process between outgoing and incoming Senior Manager Function (SMF) holders
- Close collaboration with HR on the processes and controls supporting the SMCR framework and its execution
- Assessing the impact of regulatory change and ensuring relevant employees are educated on the latest regulations and processes
Corporate Governance responsibilities will include:
- Setting up formal meetings within the corporate governance structure, taking detailed minutes of these meetings, preparing agendas, issuing board committee packs, capturing the outcomes of meetings and taking responsibility for communicating these throughout the business, obtaining updates from action owners and preparing a report on the status of completion
- Maintaining governance dashboards
- Assisting with the planning and management of board and committee meeting cycles
- Servicing of meetings and adherence to governance protocols and standards
We’re looking for someone who can hit the ground running who is ambitious, engaging with first-rate communication skills. The successful applicant will have:
- At least six years’ experience in either a Governance, Risk or Compliance role within financial services
- Excellent written skills
- Experience in being primarily responsible for the implementation of SMCR in another organisation and therefore expertise in SMCR requirements
- Experience of managing SMCR post-implementation
- A mature and professional approach to work
- Experience of agenda planning and producing minutes of formal meetings
- Excellent organisation and planning skills with a strong level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to prioritise and manage own workload, working to tight deadlines and managing multiple tasks to be delivered to a high standard
- Strong communication skills with the ability to build and maintain effective working relationships with colleagues, partners and senior stakeholders.
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Chris Nicholas in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check. If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please apply via Talent Online as an internal applicant.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.