Search by job title or keyword
Senior Data Engineer
We are The Very Group and we’re here to help families get more out of life. We know that our customers work hard for their families and have a lot to balance in their busy lives. That’s why we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options on Very.co.uk to help them say yes to the things they love. We’re just as passionate about helping our people get more out of life too; building careers with real growth, a sense of purpose, belonging and wellbeing.
About the team –
The data engineering team is a growing team of enthusiastic, technically gifted people who ensure accurate, timely data is available for business decisions, which affect our Customers. Data capture, storage and utilisation is an integral part of what differentiates The Very Group, and the people who work here are fundamental to the timely capture and availability of data and services.
The Data Engineering team are building new solutions and technology that incorporate the latest AWS technology services alongside this we are increasing automation and resilience. As we transform the technology landscape and make data even more accessible each team member’s contribution has a positive impact across the business and our valued Customers.
About the role
At Very, innovation is key and at the heart of everything we do. We are a data driven organisation and we are looking for people to be a part of our growing team.
The Senior Data Engineer performs a multi-faceted role. You will be a skilled software developer and ideally be proficient in one or more development languages. Experience of developing in a cloud-based environment is a bonus.
Key part of the role include;
- Analysis, design, architecting and development of data solutions for deployments to the Data Lake and Data Warehouse.
- Peer / code review for other team members.
- Taking a lead on nominated projects.
- Performing demos of generated software solutions to the squad and the wider business.
- Mentoring more junior team members.
- Leading by example, both in the development approach and in the delivery / interaction with stakeholders.
- Collaborate with the squad, other data engineers and the wider business to deliver the most effective possible solution.
- Proficient in Scala, Python or Java.
- Working knowledge of test tools and frameworks such as Junit, Mockito, ScalaTest, pytest.
- Working knowledge of build tools– Maven, Gradle, SBT or equivalent. Understanding of source control management and associated tools such as Git/Bitbucket.
- Knowledge or an understanding of CI /CD tools such as Jenkins or similar
- Experience in building data pipelines.
- Good knowledge in designing, building, using and maintaining REST APIs.
- Good SQL skills with any mainstream database – Oracle, MySQL, Postgres.
- Agile exposure with Scrum using tools such as Jira and Confluence.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- Inclusive culture and environment, check out our Glassdoor reviews
- £1000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Udemy learning access
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and DBS check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person or held remotely.
You can expect a two-stage interview process for this position:
1st stage - An informal 30-minute video call with the hiring team to discuss your skills and relevant experience. This is a great opportunity to find out more about the role and to ask any questions you may have.
2nd Stage – A one-hour formal interview where you can expect both competency and technical questions. This can be held either in-person or remotely.
As an inclusive employer please do let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments.
If you'd like to know more about our interviews, you can find out here.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.