Search by job title or keyword
Senior Engineering Manager
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
About the Role
To be successful at this we need a phenomenal team, with great people. As a Senior Engineering Manager you will be at the heart of driving this forward. You can expect to be involved in:
- Leading a team of up to 8 Engineering Managers, with up to 50 Engineers reporting into them.
- Leading a culture of opportunities where colleagues are supported to continuously improve their products and themselves
- Defining and driving the engineering vision, strategy and standards for the customer experience on web.
- Collaborating with other colleagues to ensure all software is built with security, reliability, scalability and operability
- Ensuring we have the right Squad structures, with the right skills to successfully deliver and run our technology products including overall recruitment plans and needs for Engineering
- Handling technical debt, working with architects and product management to balance work within the squads to ensure risks are managed around aging code and platforms
- Promoting the sharing of knowledge and standard methodologies both internally and externally across Engineering
- You are a confident technical leader with experience running in an Agile DevSecOps way where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice to support a business that runs 24x7
- You are an engineer at heart and enjoy the challenge of building software solutions that deliver value to the business, being commercially and risk aware
- You are known for your thought leadership and critical thinking in the technical space, while being able to apply business context
- Your priorities are managing and leading engineering in building new high quality systems, improving stability, security and performance
- You approach all work with the desire to do the best you and your team can, collaborating with all your colleagues, leading from the front, being an exemplar for how we work effectively as a team
- You are keen to learn new technologies and languages, owning the squad to continuously improve. You are effectively engaged in the wider technology community and consistently seeking to expand your knowledge
- You are experienced in operating in an Agile environment (SCRUM & Kanban) and are constantly looking to automate in areas such as CI/CD and quality assurance
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £10,000 Flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.