Search by job title or keyword
Senior Integration Engineer - Retail
The Very Group has a “Tribe” and “Squad” Technology Delivery Model. This means that each primary area of the business is fully aligned to its primary function e.g. Financial Services, Customer Care, Logistics & Fulfilment, Digital Customer Experience (DCX) (front-end web and app development), Data and Retail. We do not operate as a traditional, centralised IT/technology team, though we do have some central technology functions such as operations, platform, security, risk, networking etc. Generally, each tribe is responsible for its own technology solutions and delivery of those solutions (bought or built) and interaction/integration with other tribes/3rd parties. Each tribe consists of the business operations colleagues and technology roles needed to support that tribe. This Software Engineering role is aligned with the Retail Tribe.As a Senior Integration Engineer in the Retail Tribe, you will be responsible for designing, building and running our business-critical integration solutions as we modernise our complex estate and migrate to cloud-based solutions. You will work in an agile delivery squad. This role is hands-on, you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll work to best practices in integration engineering and be familiar with a range of integration patterns and technologies. You will collaborate with other squad members, including Software Engineers, Platform Engineers, Architects, Product Owners, QA Engineers and other roles required by the squad to which you are allocated.
Day to day:
- Work with other Engineers in your Squad/Tribe, Business Analysts, Product Owners and Architects to design and deliver industry leading integration patterns and methods.
- Design and build stable software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
- Participate in integration, data flow design and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the holistic view of technical and business impact of any changes to integrations.
- Participate in application integration design, data flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the holistic view of technical and business impact.
- Own your code quality.
- Own non-functional requirements around performance, security and scalability to ensure we deliver a resilient and great customer experience. Driving best practice around real-time logging, monitoring and alerting.
- Proactively driving the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes in the squad.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/do impact the technical product and work with Software Engineering to mitigate them.
- Provide “Run” support for technical products within your Squad – this could be out-of-hours.
- Proactively support and mentor other team members, working with them to help them improve their skills.
- Assuring the solutions you produce meet the squad quality standards and delivery timescales.
- Trusted on the optimal end-to-end delivery pipeline for your integration code/solutions.
- Selection of the most appropriate technologies for the task.
- Ensure delivery pipeline for your code has optimal quality controls built-in to support testing, deployment, reporting and task management.
- Participate in application integration, data flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the holistic view of technical and business impact.
- Selection of appropriate quality controls to complete assigned tasks, including; code driven deployment; basic infrastructure monitoring; automated testing; and effective operational monitoring, alerting and incident responses.
- Trusted to support on appropriate information to support resolution of issues and incidents in the Run of Squad applications.
Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
Experience of leading and driving your own engineering practices as a self-starter, including a strong desire (inc. examples) to learn new technologies.
A range of in-depth technical knowledge/experience in integrating, maintaining and managing complex integration architectures, ideally across multi-cloud environments.
In-depth level of technical knowledge/experience in building application integrations that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
Experience of multiple development technologies, ideally including Java, Spring/SpringBoot, Kafka, AWS, Python, Jenkins, Bamboo, GitLab, IBM MQ, RabbitMQ, microservices, secure RESTful API’s, JSON, securing API Gateways, event-driven architectures, messaging.
Technical knowledge of Oracle Fusion Middleware or IBM Order Management would be desirable, though not essential.
Working experience of building integrations that are trusted, have security built trough to the core, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
Background and relevant current experience in a hands-on integration engineering role is essential, including design, development and unit testing.
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams or Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.