Search by job title or keyword
Senior Platform Engineer - Retail
We are looking for a Senior Platform Engineer for our Retail Tribe
Our Platform Engineers design and deliver our Cloud infrastructure. With a desire to automate everything they will drive integration between our Cloud infrastructure, our on-site applications and our 3rd party partners.
We look for people who have an Agile mindset. People who can help us by working within cross-functional teams to constantly review business requests and help define the most efficient way to get quality in front of our customer as quickly as possible.
To do this at pace and scale we fully understand that ‘failing fast’ is better than never succeeding.
For us, automation is the key to easy, consistent repetition and keep this at the front of your mind with all design decisions.
What will you be supporting?
Ensuring the cloud platforms/solutions are fit for purpose based on business need and criticality, while keeping platform usage costs and utilisation in mind.
Assisting on the optimal end-to-end delivery pipeline for the squad’s code.
Monitoring and reporting usage of our cloud solutions.
Advise on the selection of the most appropriate technologies for the task.
Ensure delivery pipeline for your IaaS code has optimal quality controls built-in to support testing, deployment, reporting and task management.
Selection of appropriate quality controls to complete assigned tasks, including; code driven deployment; infrastructure deployment; automated testing; and effective operational monitoring, alerting and incident responses.
Supply appropriate information and analysis to support resolution of issues and incidents in the “Run” of squad applications.
A bit about the Tribe
The Retail Tribe is responsible for designing, building, integrating and running technology across all retail products and functions. Retail capabilities span Sourcing, Planning, Forecasting, Buying, Merchandising and Pricing, as well as the Product journey from initial setup to publish.
- You’ll already have significant commercial experience of using AWS Services including EC2, ECS, Serverless (Lambda).
- Background and relevant current experience in a hands-on Platform Engineering role is essential.
- An understanding of security techniques including Firewalls/Security Groups, Threat Modelling, Dependency Management.
- You'll know how to debug a complex, high availability production environments.
- Networking knowledge, load balancing, CDN’s etc.
- Knowledge of IaaS deployment tools such as Terraform.
- Working knowledge of continuous integration and source control systems such as Jenkins and GitLab.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Demonstrable experience of leading and driving your own platform engineering practices as a self-starter, including a strong desire (inc. examples) to learn new technologies.
- Demonstrable range of in-depth technical knowledge/experience in building and managing complex software and platform architectures, ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- In-depth level of technical knowledge/experience in building cloud solutions that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- Technical knowledge of Oracle Fusion Middleware or IBM Order Management would be desirable, though not essential.
- Relevant AWS certifications would be highly desirable.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 days
- Additional flexible benefits allowance £1,000 (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus (based on individual and company performance)
- Matched pension up 6%
- 1x Life Assurance
- Flexible working - remote vs on-site
- Self-development time
- Brand discount - up to 25%
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Free on-site parking subject to postcode and availability
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams or Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
If you are an internal candidate looking to refer someone in, please follow the referrals process and guidelines
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.