Search by job title or keyword
Senior Software Engineer
Hey, we’re The Very Group. Home of Very and Littlewoods, and a team of 4,500 super-talented people.
We’ve been reinventing shopping experiences for over a century. Technology has played a huge part in that, helping us transition from catalogues’ to pureplay online retail, but we’re not the finished article.
As the UK's largest integrated retail and financial services provider, we have a pretty unique position across three huge industries (retail, technology and credit) and our ambition is bold, to build the number one shopping destination for shoppers who value credit anywhere online. But we believe with our passion and track record for reinvention, we can improve how the world pays and shops for the things they love. Think you can help us? Read on...
About the role.
The team are already hard at work on one of our most ambitious rebuild projects to date, and looking into microservices, this includes a brand new Node.js and React presentation layer, as well as a new CMS and using a full CI/CD development and deployment model. We are looking for Software Engineers with enthusiasm, passion and proven leadership abilities to support this as well as our other key business goals.
For rebuild, we have chosen AWS and will be utilising that tech stack so we’re talking around:
Java Spring Boot Microservices, Node.js React microservices, AWS microservices architecture, Groovy, Gradle, Jenkins, Docker, AppDynamics, Kibana and Elastic Search.
Our Senior Software Engineers will work as Tech Leads or supporting the current Leads within autonomous product teams, delivering products that are part of the rebuild or in squads aligned to our other key business goals. Our Senior Software Engineers will assist in the technical delivery of great software and they will help lead the technical direction for the team.
The ability to coach and mentor team members is essential to this role, as is experience of Agile software development techniques such as BDD, TDD and pair programming. We are looking for people who can explain very technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders, carry out technical prioritisation and work well with colleagues in and outside of the team at all levels.
- Experience of working within an agile function
- Hands on experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, SQL or Scala
- An understanding in AWS, or Google Cloud, Azure, Hadoop etc
- Experience improving software deliverables utilising engineering best practices such as, reusability & continuous integration.
- A proven ability to adapt in an ever changing fast paced environment whilst still being able to deliver value.
- Superb communication skills that can adapt the right style and tone to different stakeholders
- Prior experience working with TDD, BDD or Pair Programming set ups.
- You are an individual that thrives on change ensuring that you stay ahead of new upcoming technologies through attending regular forums, meet ups or online courses.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- Additional flexible benefits allowance (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus
- Matched pension at 6%
- 1x Life Assurance / Private Medical
- Flexible working
- Self development time
- Brand discount up to 25%
- Cycle to work scheme
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Free on-site parking *subject to post code
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
How to apply.
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.