Search by job title or keyword
Senior Software Engineers - Retail
Here at The Very Group we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.As a Software Engineer in the Retail Tribe, you will be responsible for designing, building and running front-end or back-end software solutions in an agile delivery squad. This role is hands-on, you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll work to best practices in software engineering, ensuring high quality, resilient solutions.
About the roles:
We are looking for a number of Senior Software Engineers to join our tribes and be a part of something truly special.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we called squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
Our Senior Software Engineers will either work as Tech Leads or support our current Tech Leads within autonomous product teams, delivering products that align to our other key business goals.
Our Senior Software Engineers will assist in the technical delivery of great software and they will help lead the technical direction for the team.
For our senior roles, we always look for the ability to coach and mentor other team members, in fact we think this attitude is essential to these roles.
Within our model, Agile software development is key. For these roles you’ll need experience in Agile practice such as BDD, TDD and pair programming.
We are looking for people who can explain very technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders, carry out technical prioritisation and work well with colleagues in and outside of the team at all levels.
Squads & Tribes Model:
For us this means a cross-functional Tech Team and structure. The overall Tribe will have a subset of set of teams, or as well call them, Squads. Each with a mission to solve specific product challenges. Each squad is composed of individual contributors from different disciplines and led by an individual contributor.
This working model differs drastically from traditional cross-functional teams that typically focus on a single project. Our squads are essentially small start-ups that will take on multiple projects at a time and they will build a part of the product, or even create a full new product. Since each squad has contributors or owners from every domain – from engineering to product, or mobile to design – any squad has the breadth and the depth in terms of skill to for end-to-end ownership.
Currently we have 5 core Tribes, for us they are:
The Retail Tribe is responsible for designing, building, integrating and running technology across all retail products and functions. Retail capabilities span Sourcing, Planning, Forecasting, Buying, Merchandising and Pricing, as well as the Product journey from initial setup to publish.
• Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
• Demonstrable experience of leading and driving your own engineering practices as a self-starter, including a strong desire (inc. examples) to learn new technologies.
• Demonstrable range of in-depth technical knowledge/experience in building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures, ideally across multi-cloud environments.
• Demonstrable experience of building software applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
• Background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role is essential.
• Confident and comfortable to share stories internally and externally to build our brand and credibility to attract and retain technical talent.
• Experience working in a fast-paced on-line Retail environment would be desirable.
- Generous and competitive starting salary
- Regular salary reviews and career progression
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5 days
- Additional flexible benefits allowance £1,000 (can take a part as salary uplift)
- Generous scalable bonus (based on individual performance vs company)
- Matched pension up 6%
- 1x Life Assurance
- Private Medical
- Flexible working (2-3 days remote / 2-3 days on-site)
- Self-development time
- Brand discount - up to 25%
- Free on-site gym
- Discounted coffee houses and food outlets
- Free on-site parking subject to postcode and availability
More About us:
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams, Jordan Barlow or Chris Nicholas in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
If you are an internal candidate looking to refer someone in, please follow the referrals process and guidelines
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.