Search by job title or keyword
Senior Technical Specialist -Tech Ops - Networking
About the role
We're looking for senior a technical specialist to join the Tech Ops team, specifically in relation to networking, with a thirst for learning and attitude to share their knowledge with the wider team.
For us this means:
- Networking (physical & logical networking, cloud to cloud networking including Equinix, AWS, Azure, Google, Oracle).
This role bridges the gap between Technical Specialist and Senior Solution Architect – providing thought leadership for the technical areas of responsibility (infrastructure or networking).
A key focus of the role will be to work with the architects on the design and implementation of the network strategy, including the migration of legacy platforms to cloud.
- Help to design and build solutions which allows the implication of the Network strategy via the implementation of the Equinix solution - including configuration of virtual circuits, routing, DNS, ip address management & deployment, public & private peering configuration, physical & logical network implementation, configuration and decommissioning and the central AWS Transit Gateway configuration.
- Develop and maintain technical documentation.
- Specific Infrastructure Governance responsibilities.
- Collaborate with the Senior Network Architect, Information Security, Service Management, Tribe Tech Leads and DevOps engineers to increase efficiencies across the organization’s networking integration solutions and requirements and feed these into the Network Strategy & Roadmaps.
- Independently perform complex assignments in the design, detailed configuration, integration and support of existing and future technologies within assigned technical area of expertise.
- Responsible for planning, designing, reviewing and approving robust, stable, scalable and manageable designs.
- Perform problem diagnosis, initiate problem resolution and work with Service Management on the ongoing life-cycle support requirements for technology deployments and upgrades.
Delivery & Documentation
- Create and maintain documentation of detailed design documents, diagrams, engineering specifications, build changes, models, troubleshooting and overall project information (including key deliverables).
- Responsible for the technical correctness and completeness of engineering designs and artifacts.
- Ensure that build activities are completed per architecture & engineering diagrams that were drafted and approved for the project.
- Redirect build activities as needed.
Leadership & Partnerships
- Manage effective relationships and work in partnership with leadership, team members, vendors, and contractors to deliver robust technical solutions ensuring service level commitments and project time lines are maintained.
- Provide technical expertise, direction and prioritization of work to team members ensuring successful project implementation and outstanding delivery quality
- Mentor, coach and contribute to the development of peers and other team members as appropriate.
- Work with squads and tribes to deliver robust, scalable, secure and resilient technical solutions against the strategic roadmap and design patterns.
Analysis & Problem Solving
- Recommend, deploy and document design strategies and solutions for software/hardware/network engineering problems, based upon comprehensive and thoughtful analysis of business goals, objectives, requirements and existing technologies.
Processes, Standards & Best Practice
- Participate and provide technical governance for solutions and design patterns, to ensure best practice, policy & principle adoption and alignment to strategic roadmaps.
- Continuously develop specialized knowledge and technical subject matter expertise by remaining apprised of industry trends, the direction of emerging technologies, and their potential value to the business.
The Network specialist should have at comprehensive experience with the following:
- Physical network setup, implementation, configuration – including Switchesm Routers, Wifi AP's, Circuits, Patching, BGP, Proxies and Load Balancers.
- Logical networking setup, implementation, configuration, including VLAN, VPN's, VRF, Equiinix Fabric
- Cloud networking knowledge – Azure, AWS – including AWS Transit Gateway, VPC’s, VPN’s and basic cloud infrastructure¸ public & private peering
- Network Security – Fortinet Firewalls , ACL’s, Security Groups, 802.1x, MFA, AD
- Network services – DNS, IPAM, Splunk, Akamai
- Understand complex application flows, methodical approach to troubleshooting
- Experience of solution design and governance best practice
- Must be detail oriented, organized and have the ability to multi-task.
- Must be flexible with a “can do” attitude and have the ability to remain professional under high pressure situations.
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams or Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.