Search by job title or keyword
Software Engineering Lead - Financial Services
Here at The Very Group we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
The Financial Services (FS) Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology across all our financial products and functions. It supports Account Management, Credit Risk, Fraud, Collections and Recoveries, Customer Payments, Insurance and Retail Credit Products, and will help drive future expansion into new FS products including Personal Loans.
As a software engineering lead you will be at the heart of driving this change forward.
Here you can expect to be involved in:
- Leading a team of up to 8 Software Engineers of varying levels of experience in a Squad, task managing, people managing, motivating and coaching them to achieve their full potential
- Collaborating with Architects, Software Engineers, Platform Engineers to shape the technology landscape for the products you support, developing, refining and assuring engineering standards
- Engineering software – design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future technology roadmap
- The automation of pipelines for application deployment, ensuring quality is maintained and service isn’t impacted. When you build it, you’ll own it and run it
- Ensure your applications are performant and available for a business that is always online for our Customers. Develop and maintain service monitoring, including support rotas
- Provide technical expertise in incident management, root cause analysis, post incident decisions and oversee remedial work that is carried out
- Continuously improving and learning how we engineer our software. Managing technical debt, technical risk while building out code standards
- Working with the Head of Technology to ensure we have the right Squad structures, with the right skills blend to successfully deliver and run our technology products
You will work in a Squad in one of our Tribes on Products such as:
- Migrating our website & mobile applications to AWS-based polyglot microservices to provide an enhanced Digital Customer Experience
- Introducing new CRM capabilities and enhancing our Chatbot experience
- Introducing new Personal Loans, new Warranties, new Credit Decisioning platforms using Microservices and best of breed SaaS to support our Financial Services business (This role)
- Introducing new capabilities for how we plan and manage our retail products.
- Enhancing our logistics and fulfilment capability to improve how we manage stock and orders in a flexible method, delivering an enhanced retail experience for our Customers
- You are an engineer at heart and enjoy the challenge of building software solutions that deliver value to the business, being commercially and risk aware
- Your priorities are managing and leading your squad in building new systems, improving stability, security and performance
- You are a confident technical leader with experience running in an Agile DevSecOps way where operational performance is a significant part of engineering best practice to support a business that runs 24x7
- You approach all work with the desire to do the best you and your squad can, collaborating with all your colleagues, leading from the front, being an exemplar for how we work effectively as a team
- You are known for your thought leadership and strategic thinking in the technical space, while being able to apply business context
- You are keen to learn new technologies and languages, leading the squad to continuously improve. You are actively engaged in the wider technology community and consistently seeking to expand your knowledge
- You are experienced in operating in an Agile environment (SCRUM & Kanban) and are constantly looking to automate in areas such as CI/CD and quality assurance
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture (mix of on-site and working remotely too)
- Mental health trained first aiders across the business
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Software Engineering looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.