Search by job title or keyword
Software Engineering Lead - Logistics & Fulfillment
Here at The Very Group we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We encourage diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
About the Tribe
The Logistics & Fulfilment Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology across all our logistics & fulfilment products and functions. It supports the capabilities of Inbound logistics, Outbound Logistics, Warehouse Management and Order Management.
The logistics and fulfilment tribe consists of four squads that sit across the functional areas. The squads are responsible for all change activity and technical support. Each squad works to a roadmap of change that drives business improvements and customer enhancements. The changes vary from large scale transformations to small change continuous improvements.
Each squad is multi-discipline and includes product management, delivery, business analysis. engineering, technical architecture and quality assurance. The squad follow agile processes to deliver regular improvements to the customer experience and incremental business benefit.
What you'll be doing
Our Software Engineering Leads are responsible for leading and line managing a team of software engineers in an agile delivery squad. This role is both line management and hands-on, along with leading the squad you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll create, maintain and drive best practices in software engineering within the squad and the wider technology community.
Here you can expect to be involved in:
- Leading a team of up to 6 Software Engineers of varying levels of experience in a Squad, task managing, people managing, motivating and coaching them to achieve their full potential
- Collaborating with Architects, Software Engineers, Platform Engineers to shape the technology landscape for the products you support, developing, refining and assuring engineering standards
- Engineering software – design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future technology roadmap
- Resourcing strategy for your squad (alongside Head of Technology / Engineering Manager)
- Technology strategy and delivery approach for squad (in-line with Architecture guidelines)
- Software Engineering patterns & frameworks (alongside Heads of Tech / Engineering Manager / Tech Leads)
- Support model for your squad (alongside Head of Technology / Engineering Manager and Service Manager)
- Performance management and development planning for Engineers with your Squad
- Work alongside the Head of Technology, and Architects to contribute to the technology vision and roadmap. Manage resourcing plans and recruitment for Engineers within your Squad.
- Working with Product Owner to get technical stories on and appropriately prioritised to backlog
- For vendor systems owned by Squad a) understand and leverage capabilities b) ensure release impacts are identified and addressed via backlog. Where primary user of vendor assume technical responsibility for vendor relationship including performance reviews.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/ do impact the technical product and work with all stakeholders required to mitigate them
- Ensuring that all aspects of Engineering Lifecycle are governed in line with policies and standards expected
- Ensure Software Engineers in team are set-up to provide Run support for all technical products
- Contribute to the definition and agreement of the bounded context (technology/ data) of the Product(s) owned
- Significant experience of building and leading high performing software engineering teams operating in a lean, agile, DevSecOps based environment.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support.
- Experienced in managing any individual performance issues.
- Experience of building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures (both build and bought), ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- Experience of building software applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- A strong collaborator and communicator.
- Computer Science degree or relevant experience.
- A background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role is essential.
- Confident and comfortable to share stories internally and externally to build our Very Group brand and credibility to attract and retain talent
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- £6500 additional benefits allowance
- 6% matched pension
- Up to 20% bonus
- Office / remote split post Covid (fully remote until September)
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Software Engineering looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.