Search by job title or keyword
About the team
Here at The Very Group, we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and create even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we call squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
We support diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge and would welcome a chat about flexible working options for this role!
A bit about our Tribes you’ll be working with
Customer Care (CC)
The Customer Care Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology to ensure the Very Group can handle customer service requests in an efficient, compliant and secure manner. The tribe supports customer identity management, profile & preference, case management, knowledge management, customer satisfaction, communications using a variety of channels and the planning and strategy for the Customer Care operations teams.
Tech Stack: Java & Spring Boot, NodeJs, Event Driven architectures, Amazon AWS services such as AWS API gateway, Lambda, ECS, EKS and Fargate.
Financial Services (FS)
The Financial Services (FS) Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology across all our financial products and functions. It supports Account Management, Credit Risk, Fraud, Collections and Recoveries, Customer Payments, Insurance and Retail Credit Products, and will help drive future expansion into new FS products including Personal Loans.
Digital Customer Experience (DCX)
The Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe is striving to create a world class customer experience across our Mobile and Web platforms. We are in control of building this exciting future and are looking for like-minded individuals to help make this a reality. We need people with strong backgrounds in digital retail to help us on this journey as we strive to define, design, build and run frictionless experiences that sets The Very Group apart from other online retailers
Tech Stack: Java, Spring Boot, microservices & serverless, React & Node.js, Go, AWS and more.
Logistics and Fulfilment (L&F)
The Logistics & Fulfilment Tribe is responsible for designing, building, changing and running technology across all our logistics & fulfilment products and functions. It supports the capabilities of Inbound logistics, Outbound Logistics, Warehouse Management and Order Management.
The Retail Tribe is responsible for designing, building, integrating and running technology across all retail products and functions. Retail capabilities span Sourcing, Planning, Forecasting, Buying, Merchandising and Pricing, as well as the Product journey from initial setup to publish.
About the role
We are looking for a number of Software Engineers at all levels to join our tribes and be a part of something truly special.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we called squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building and running front-end or back-end software solutions in an agile delivery squad. This role is hands-on, you’ll be actively involved in designing, implementing and running the products and services that your squad are responsible for. You’ll work to best practices in software engineering, driving and ensuring high quality solutions.
Within our model, Agile software development is key. For these roles it would be great if you already had experience in Agile practice such as BDD, TDD and pair programming.
What you’ll be doing
- Work with other Engineers in your Squad/ Tribe, Business Analysts, Product Owners and Architects to design and deliver industry leading systems.
- Design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
- Actively participate in application and database design, data flows and detailed technical design. Ensure that analysis includes the wider view of technical and business impact.
- Own your code quality.
- Own non-functional requirements around performance, security and scalability to ensure we deliver a great customer experience. Driving best practice around real-time logging, monitoring, alerting.
- Proactively drive the enhancement of continuous integration to improve deployment processes in the squad.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/ do impact the technical product and work with Software Engineering Lead/ Tech Lead/ Principal and Senior Software Engineers to mitigate them.
- Adhere to policies and standards that impact solutions.
- Provide Run support for technical products within Squad.
- Proactively support other team members, working with them to help them improve their skills.
- Good object oriented programming skills, ideally Java
- Good knowledge of Cloud platforms, ideally AWS.
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £250-£1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs (dependent on role grade)
- 27-30 days holiday + bank holidays (dependent on role grade)
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people, so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.