Search by job title or keyword
Software Engineers - Java
About the team
We are looking for several Software Engineers at all levels to join our tribes and be a part of something truly special.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around cross-functional teams we called squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each tribe is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building and running software solutions in an agile delivery squad. You’ll work to best practices in software engineering whiles driving and ensuring high quality solutions.
Within our model, Agile software development is key. For these roles it would be great if you already had experience in Agile practice such as BDD, TDD and pair programming.About the roles:
You will be part of a team where you will work with other Engineers, Business Analysts, Product Owners and Architects to design and deliver industry leading systems.
As You Grow In Your Role, You Will
- Design and build software that balances the commercial needs of the business alongside delivering the future tech roadmap.
- Actively participate in application and database design, data flows and detailed technical design.
- You will be a practitioner of clean code, TDD and will contribute to the evolution of our Agile processes.
- You will understand the value of continuous integration, continuous delivery and strive for a high level of automation.
- Own non-functional requirements around performance, security and scalability to ensure we deliver a great customer experience.
- Driving best practice around real-time logging, monitoring, alerting.
- Identify obstacles, risks and issues that may/ do impact the technical product and work with the rest of the team mitigate them.
- Provide Run support for technical products within Squad.
What you’ll bring
- Experience with Java 8 or above
- Experience using Java Build tools such as Maven/Gradle
- Experience with RESTful services and APIs
- Familiarity with continuous delivery concepts and a drive for a high level of automation
- Knowledge of AWS Services such as ECS and API Gateway
Some of our benefits
- Flexible, hybrid working model
- £250-£1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs (dependent on role grade)
- 27-30 days holiday + bank holidays (dependent on role grade)
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- More benefits can be found on our career site
How to apply
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
What happens next?
Our talent acquisition team will be in touch if you’re successful so keep an eye on your emails! We’ll arrange a short call to learn more about you, as well as answer any questions you have. If it feels like we’re a good match, we’ll share your CV with the hiring manager to review, and then be in touch to move to the interview process. Our interview process is tailored to each role and can be in-person and remotely. We will always look to make the adjustments you need to bring your best self to interview.
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,250-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people, so they can live life well. We combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.