Search by job title or keyword
Sustainability Manager - Operations
We’re The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people. I am currently looking for a Sustainability Manager to join the CSR team, focusing on Operations to continue to drive to our net zero ambition. This role can either be based in Head Office, Speke or at Skygate in the East Midlands.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the role
We are currently looking for a Sustainability Manager to lead on and deliver The Very Group’s CSR strategy for our business operations, managing and driving responsible practice through our own operations and with key partners. You will play a huge part in reducing our social and environmental impacts, driving our net zero ambition and accurately reporting on progress. The role holder will represent The Very Group on sustainability for operations across the business and externally.
This purpose of the role will be to support the CSR team with a particular focus on operations. It will encompass the environmental impact of our operations and our partners environmental impact. Reporting into our Head of CSR, you will be supported by a great team and get the opportunity to really make a change in a business area, that is a high priority on our agenda.
You will influence colleagues across operations to ensure a successful delivery of our CSR strategy.
- Adopting a proactive approach to improving performance by engaging with the management team and all staff
- Developing new ways of driving sustainability performance through the company and leading on initiatives within projects
- Keeping up to date with the sustainability agenda, new legislation and best practice guidelines and understanding how they may affect the company
- Preparing reports and attending meetings with management to discuss sustainability performance
- Working with project teams throughout the business to deliver against the net zero roadmap and the broader CSR strategy
- Raising awareness of sustainability and Very’s strategy and vision through both formal and informal training sessions
- Undertaking frequent visits to operations and logistics partners to assess areas of opportunity for collaboration and driving environmental improvements amongst our partners
- Assisting in the accurate collation, analysis and reporting of data to enable the assessment of performance against sustainability targets
- Preparing guidance to assist in managing sustainability
- Carrying out spot checks and audits to ensure compliance with relevant policies and the Very Group code of conduct
- Degree in a relevant subject
- Excellent knowledge of sustainability issues and their impact on business performance
- Experience working in a sustainability role, with an emphasis on environmental performance
- Demonstrable ability to deliver a comprehensive sustainability strategy and drive consensus with diverse stakeholders across various organisations
- Confidence in influencing and working with people at all levels in an organisation
- The ability to motivate people to change their behaviour
- Experience of delivering cross functional training
- A broad view of sustainability, focusing not only on environmental issues, but also the relative importance of the social impacts of our operations
- Keeping up to date with the sustainability agenda, new legislation and best practice guidelines, understanding how they may affect the company and developing strategies to ensure we remain at the forefront
- Wide network of industry contacts
- Capable of representing the company at CSR events, in government consultations and in conversations with NGO’s
- £1000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health awareness training programme
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- Up to 25% staff across the categories
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity so if you're interested to find out more please contact Kieran Grundy in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status