Search by job title or keyword
Technical Data Steward
Here at The Very Group, we’re on an exciting journey to transform our technology estate and build even better experiences for our customers. We’re doing that by modernising our existing systems and platforms, utilising a wider variety of modern, cloud-based technologies. We support diversity, both in terms of people, technical skills and knowledge.
Our Tech teams have recently gone through a transition to a new working model and culture, one structured around multi-functional teams we call squads. Our squads will make up an overall Tribe. Each team is responsible for designing, building, running and improving the technology that relates to their business area, all aimed at providing a world class experience for our customers.About the role:
We have embarked on an ambitious journey, to modernise our Data domain working with new
cutting edge technology working within the Data Science, Analytics, Strategy and Engineering team.
The Technical Data Steward will work and lead within the Data Governance and Data Ops squads working towards a backlog of work to grow and develop our data catalog platform and data quality measures. They act as ambassadors of best practice for Data Management balancing data risks whilst ensuring business value is not impacted.
The tooling will be managed by Data Ops but will be rolled out across all tribes at TVG in order to provide the tooling for tribes to manage the data in accordance with regulation.
The Technical Data Steward will collaborate with nominated business data stewards to ensure Data Management best practice is maintained.
Day to day:
- Lead best practice of Data Management across DNA providing support and guidance to the tribes via nominated Data Stewards. Own the data catalog roadmap working with our chosen supplier.
- Own the technical delivery assigned showing initiative through self development, collaboration
- and a can-do attitude to work.
- Own the delivery assigned via a back log from to successful completion.
- Collaborate cross functionally on issue resolution seeking support from the Data Management and Governance Manager where required.
- Sets the expectations to CDO, Data Management and Governance Manager and peers around progress on data management deliverables.
- Builds and maintains strong collaborative relationships across the wider The Very Group community working cross functionally.
- Applies Data Governance principles and standards around deliverables. Line management duties may be required at a later date.
The Technical Data Steward will be a strong leader around Data Management best pracices and experience of leading teams, collaboratively resolving data risk (technical). In summary:-
- Experience with one or more programming languages such as Java, Python or SQL.
- Experience of working within a Data Management function leading the implementation of a data catalog
- Defines an operating model that can be scaled for a data catalog rollout.
- Sets and defines data quality metrics that can be used to monitor the health of data across TVG.
- Sets and owns the roadmap for the Data Catalog tooling working with our chosen supplier.
- Experience with data quality tooling across multiple data sources.
- Has data analysis experience to help find resolution to any data issues / risks that could pose a risk to data integrity.
- Has an in depth understanding of the GDPR regulation and can educate others.
- Can influence senior leaders to apply data management best practices.
- Worked within a cloud environment, e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Experience or knowledge Data Warehousing Technologies and data lakes using large sets of data.
- Has delivered and led a number large scale data migrations working to tight timescales.
- Familiar and works in agile ways of working.
- Understanding of data lifecycle and understands data retention policies.
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and can articulate technical challenges to a non technical person.
- Thrives on change ensuring that you stay ahead of new upcoming Data Management technologies through attending regular forums, meet ups or online courses.
- Enjoys developing through organised or self development; passionate to progress career at The Very Group.
- A leader who is able to mitigating blockers positively that may be hindering progress.
- Flexible, hybrid working model; top rated on Glassdoor
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance to suit your needs
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Bonus potential (performance and business-related)
- Up to 25% discount on Very.co.uk
- Matched pension up to 6%
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Onsite gyms with over 25 classes
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Data looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more, please contact the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please also apply via the careers page as an internal applicant.More About us
We’re The Very Group – home to Very.co.uk and a 3,500-strong team of super talented people, all passionate about making good things easily accessible to more people so they can live life well. A unique digital business, we combine amazing brands and products with flexible payment options that help people say yes when it matters most. And we’ve been doing it for over a century – moving from catalogues to bricks to pureplay online retail, consistently reinventing the way our customers shop and our people work to help them get the most out of life every day.
When you join Very, you’re joining a dynamic, successful and constantly developing organisation that’s determined to fulfil its promise, as well as the promise of everyone it serves. You’ll work in an environment that is fast-paced, customer-focused, inclusive, caring and vibrant, with people who share a commitment to helping everyone – customers and Very people alike – live life well.
If you’re inventive, positive, collaborative and responsible with an energy to create the best possible life for yourself and others…then come and join us!Equal opportunities
We’re an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, gender, gender expression, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.