Search by job title or keyword
Category Assistant - Electrical (Internal applicants only)
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the role
We have a fantastic opportunity within our Electrical category for a Category Assistant! We have big plans for electrical, with ambitious growth targets and plans to onboard even more brands to sit alongside some of our big branded names; Apple, Samsung, Sony. If you are currently an Assistant Buyer/Merchandiser, a role as a Category Assistant will allow you to further develop your skills with dual specialisms of buying and merchandising, sharpen up your trading skills and hone your commercial knowledge along the way too!
- Manage relationships with key Electrical brands building strong relationships to maximise commercial opportunities
- Review performance of category, understand drivers of performance and be able to articulate this well
- Understand KPIs and their drivers and take action to support delivery of budgets and quarterly plan
- Develop Marketing plans and manage through the business, liaising with appropriate functions both internally as well as within supply base.
- Own the end-to-end product set up process
- Use of pricing tools daily to ensure we’re competitive vs the market, make pricing decisions and input supplier funding
- Maintain an awareness of the market, keeping track of competitor activity and actively looking for ways to drive overall category trading performance
- Work closely with the category FSP (forecast and stock planner) to ensure the forecast reflects promotional plans to maximise availability and stock efficiency
- Produce ad hoc reports on supplier and overall category performance
- Opportunities to own a supplier or product attribute and/or to get involved in wider business projects (dependant on individual skills and readiness to progress)
- May be involved in sourcing new suppliers or brands
Relationship building is essential as strong relationships will be required within the immediate team, across the business and with external suppliers.
- Work closely with the immediate team (Category Manager, FSP and Category Assistants) to ensure fully aligned across brands and working towards the category’s strategy
- Work cross functionally having strong engagement and influence with Trading, Marketing, Supply Chain, Pricing, Commercial and Category teams.
- Regular communication with brands around performance, upcoming opportunities, product launches and deal negotiation
In Electrical you will also focus on the below core elements day to day
- Relationship management: both internally and externally will be important, building strong relationships to maximise commercial opportunities.
- Marketing: Development of Marketing plans and manage through the business, liaising with appropriate functions both internally as well as within supply base.
- Commercial awareness: Awareness of the market is key, keeping track of competitor activity and actively looking for ways to drive overall category trading performance.
The ideal candidate will have/be:
- Solution and delivery focused, a decision maker who can work under pressure, obsess over the customer, and make the right choices to benefit their experience.
- Demonstrates initiative and commercial awareness; able to assess a situation independently and determine the best outcome for the business and customer
- Creative, passionate and innovative
- Positive, driven and brings energy to the role
- Ability to work under pressure and in a fast-paced environment
- Champions what is right for the business, team and customer
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Adapts to change and demonstrates resilience
- Lives the Values
- Values and behaviours – able to clearly demonstrate ability to live our values
- Retail or Business degree is desirable
- Previous experience is advantageous but is not always required
- Business understanding: No prior knowledge of our business is required
- £250.00 flexible benefits allowance
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
- Flexible working options
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity so if you're interested to find out more please contact email@example.com in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.