Search by job title or keyword
Graduate Software Engineer
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the team.
As we continue to grow, we're investing heavily in people and technology to continue pushing the boundaries of what’s possible. Our highly talented and skilled technology team continue to test, learn and invest in disruptive innovation that solves important customer challenges.
Our next chapter has just begun, so we need super smart, talented and driven Graduates who can lead the charge and challenge us at what we do. We’re excited to tell you about our Graduate Engineer role that will kick start and shape your future. You’ll work across our tribes and you will get the chance to develop and grow your technical skills.
We want super star graduates who have a digital mind, innovation and can motivate themselves. We want graduates who have ambition and who see themselves driving their careers to become future leaders
About the role.
- You’ll join a team of talented engineers across either Data, Testing, Architecture, Engineering & cloud who all collaborate with people across the business and work on some high-profile projects.
- You’ll learn to work with a varied tech stack that includes Scala, Python, Spark, and Hadoop to name a few languages and tools. A solid grasp of programming skills, the willingness and passion to learn new tech, and an interest and emerging knowledge in big data technologies will put you in good stead here.
- You’ll work alongside some of the brightest minds in tech and e-commerce, in cross functional agile teams where you’ll be empowered to explore, experiment and iterate.
- You’ll learn new tech, and you’ll have the opportunity to get involved in hackathons and meet-ups.
- You’ll have the opportunity to work alongside all our Data teams internally, and to have exposure not just to Data Engineering but also some of the work in our Data Science team.
- Has a degree in Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, or Programming
- Ideally have completed a placement within a data focused environment
- Will challenge how we do things… and help us innovate combining your knowledge and university degree to create our future
- Understand our values and live and breathe them
- You have some coding experience, preferably in Java
- An Understanding of SQL and Python
About the technology
There are a wide range of technologies being used throughout our tribes and bonus points if you have the following:
- Cloud environment - AWS, Azure etc (preferably AWS)
- NoSQL DB - DynamoDB, MongoDB (preferably DynamoDB)
- AWS API Gateway
- CI/CD Pipelines (Jenkins)
- A chance to start your career at The Very Group and learn from the very best in technology
- You will have a dedicated line manager, innovative mentor, world class T&D competitive salary and a career path you can drive and shape yourself
- Competitive salary and a career path you can drive and shape yourself ·
- Work with the leading technologies and develop your skills across AWS, Java Spring Boot Microservices, Node.js microservices, Groovy, Gradle, Jenkins, Docker, AppDynamics, Kibana, Elastic Search, plus much more
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays
- A cycle to work scheme
- Flexible Working Options
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
- Multiple on-site discounted restaurants and coffee houses
- A private pension matched contribution
- A strong health and wellbeing agenda (we know you work best when you’re feeling your best!)
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes available each week
- A chance to BE the future
How to apply.
Apply online via our careers site, upload your CV and wait to hear from us, if you have any questions you can email Lyndsay.email@example.com
And then RELAX! We will be in touch as soon as we can and we will give you feedback.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this position, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.=