Search by job title or keyword
Group Financial Controller
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
About the Team.
The finance function seeks to create and protect the future of the company. And it needs to be reinvented.
We aim to create a new way of doing finance – inspired by the agile digital philosophy and grounded in the approach of squads and tribes. We want the Very way of doing finance to be the new normal. We’re excited by the level of change this will involve.
To achieve this aim we need to attract diverse talent into the team. People with passion, ambition, a preference for the innovative, team builders, and relationship creators. We’re fans of people who love to learn (and fail).
About the Role.
This is an integral role within the senior finance leadership team here at The Very Group. This role will be responsible for all aspects of accounting, financial control, risk management, and full-year and quarterly reporting.
The role leads a team of 7 direct reports and a wider team of 35 people, so requires an inspirational and confident leader who can lead these teams through change and develop a high performing team.
- Lead, motivate, and develop a team to create and maintain an effective financial controls environment and protect the assets of the business.
- Establish and provide inspirational leadership to a best-in-class team across the function ensuring that robust talent management and succession plans are in place
- Be a champion for change -drive continuous improvement and simplification across core processes and financial statutory reporting
- Collaborate with external auditors and internal stakeholders to complete the year-end audit and statutory reporting process.
- Ensure all accounts and reports are in line with legal and regulatory compliance
- Implementation of new IFRS accounting standards
- Maintain strong financial control of the group balance sheet including reporting and challenge
- Drive continuous improvement of all departmental outputs and simplification of core processes
- Lead the Group Finance Control team to enable all deadlines to be met and to ensure that financial information is always produced to the highest standard
We know that our expectations are high, as are our ambitions as a business, and here at The Very Group we’re looking for the 5% of finance people who want to reinvent, who are champions of change, and who can inspire other leaders. Therefore, our ideal candidate will be:
- An exceptional leader who embodies The Very Groups values and has a demonstrable track record of developing colleagues and achieving high colleague engagement scores
- A qualified accountant with current IFRS experience
- Technically excellent with the ability to deal with complexity and communicate complex financial matters in simple terms;
- An inspirational operator with social confidence and charisma to develop highly productive stakeholder relationships. Able and willing to challenge upwards and cross-functionally and welcomes being challenged
- The ability to efficiently prioritise a broad range of tasks and manage multiple concurrent large financial projects to tight deadlines
- The ability to navigate and thrive successfully through a complex and demanding business
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible working culture
- Onsite gym
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing,footwear and home and 15% off electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
How to apply..
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.