Search by job title or keyword
Head of Personal Loans
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
The Very Group isn’t slowing down. The company is progressing its transformation whilst continuing to deliver sustainable, profitable growth.
This role will be a key appointment within the leadership team and the successful candidate will play the pivotal role in driving practical innovation and growing new revenue streams within the financial services business.
At present we provide c. £1.6Bn of credit to our customers who buy retail products on account through our Very and Littlewoods brands. However, we have not yet fully leveraged our FS platform, IP and experience to make a concerted expansion into the broader UK consumer finance market which represents balances of over £200bn.
This is a unique and challenging role that is fundamental to the growth of the organisation and presents an extremely exciting opportunity for the right person.
First and foremost, this role is about identifying, planning and building new products/lines of business that meet customer needs and drive profitable and sustainable growth, working closely with the Financial Services functional teams and Group technology team.
Personal Loans is the first product to be delivered and this role will be responsible for building the product and the subsequent day-to-day management once launched.
The role will also require the individual to assess which product(s) should follow Personal Loans and in which order. In turn, they will need to influence the Executive Committee for approval and deliver the additional product(s).
Success in this role will require:
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities and evaluate merits simultaneously from a customer, commercial, regulatory and tech/delivery perspective
- Ability to communicate vision, thinking and rationale energetically and clearly to all levels of the organisation (from shareholders right down to operational colleagues)
- Ability to work collaboratively, lead a cross-functional team and work at pace – many of the resources required to deliver will not be under the direct control of this role
Experience within a regulated consumer finance business leading all aspects of product development and commercial management would be ideal, but the leadership qualities of the individual are as important as where they have worked.
The perfect candidate will be/have:
- A ‘down to earth’ leader who personifies The Very Group’s values and can build and lead a team unified by a clear purpose and vision
- An exceptional Financial Services professional including experience of general management within personal lending
- An approach to solving issues which is inherently collaborative and non-hierarchical and able to evidence the leadership of business change
- An ability to clearly evidence the delivery of great customer outcomes alongside commercial success
- A hands-on leader who is not afraid to ‘roll up their sleeves’ and wade into the detail to support and drive the team.
- Excited by the opportunity of setting up and growing new product lines as well as at the same time taking a key role in managing the existing business
- Worked directly with a 3rd party technology provider to build a new product/service
- Strong academic background and be highly analytical, numerate and commercial
- Potential to grow and move into other roles within the Group over time
Location: This role will be primarily based in The Very Group’s Head Office in Liverpool with travel as required.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about creating, planning and building new FS products and is looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Chris Nicholas in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check. If you’re a current employee of The Very Group, please apply via Talent Online as an internal applicant.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.