Search by job title or keyword
Principal Mobile App QA Engineer
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work. The role itself will be a mix of on-site vs remote, we've adapted well to remote ways of working and will continue to embrace those practices moving forward.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent?
About the role
We’re looking for an experienced Principal QA Engineer to join our Mobile Apps squad within our Digital Customer Experience (DCX) Tribe.
As a Principal, you will explore, develop and execute exploratory and automated tests to ensure our native iOS and Android applications are to the quality standard that our customers, colleagues and shareholders expect.
Our Principal QA’s also drive collaboration and in-depth conversation by influencing each squad member to think and build quality into everything we do whilst using modern software development and monitoring techniques.
In our ways of working, we have adopted an agile model. Each squad within the tribe focuses on migrating our website and mobile applications to AWS-based microservices to enhance our Digital Customer Experience.
We are looking for someone who has worked in a similar capacity and proven experience in building, owning and maintaining automation frameworks and quality assurance of customer-facing native mobile applications.
One of our main principles is ‘automation first’. Therefore, we expect you to be well versed in tools and approaches such as shift-left testing and continuous integration/delivery to find the right balance between automated, exploratory, functional and non-functional tests.
You will be a champion for quality and help drive a collaborative approach with squad members and the rest of QA. Contribute in 3 amigo sessions, mobbing/pairing exercises and agile ceremonies. Show a willingness to line-manage, coach and mentor other members by sharing your knowledge and experience.
From a future proof point of view, you will work with the QA Leadership Team to be aware of software industry developments and continually review testing processes and strategies to ensure the squads remain current.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within an extremely dynamic tribe, alongside an established and vibrant QA community.
- Proven work experience testing native iOS and Android applications
- Demonstrable experience in building, owning and maintaining test automation frameworks in app development
- Proven experience in line-management duties
- Strong knowledge of agile methodologies, tools and processes
- Experience working with an automated release pipeline using CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Bitrise or similar
- Experience of Test-Driven approaches to software engineering (ATDD, BDD & TDD)
- Experience in functional, non-functional and exploratory testing
- Experience testing microservices and APIs using tools such as Postman or similar
- Experience in leading and influencing teams in their approach to QA
- Strong interpersonal skills that demonstrate a curious, learning and brave approach to work
- Tooling experience:
- iOS: Swift and/or Objective-C
- Android: Kotlin and/or Java
- Other: Jenkins or similar, Jira, BrowserStack or similar, Firebase App Distribution and/or TestFlight
- Version Control: Git (BitBucket, GitHub, GitLab or similar)
- Test Runners/Frameworks: Espresso/XCUITest/Appium, Robolectric, JUnit or similar
- Other: AWS Console, Firebase Console
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is a passionate QA and Test Engineering who is looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams or Jordan Barlow in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- £1,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture *currently entire business is working remotely
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes *post-covid
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses *post-covid
- Cycle to work scheme *post-covid
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility