Search by job title or keyword
Product Technologist - Kidswear (12 month FTC)
We’re The Very Group, home to Very.co.uk, Littlewoods.com and a team of 4,000 super-talented people. I am currently looking for an experienced Product Technologist for our 'Childrenswear' range on a 12 month FTC.
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
We are looking for an experienced Product Technologist to cover a 12 months FTC on Childrenswear. The role holder will be accountable for the department having a clear understanding of safety requirements within the range. There will be regular collaboration with the buying team, design team, working with colleagues in the UK and Asia. All applicants must have experience in clear critical path management to be considered for this role.
About the role
Working in collaboration with trading teams, Global Sourcing colleagues and suppliers, gaining stronger and in-depth experience which will naturally enhance the development of products that meet and surpass customer expectations by ensuring that they are of good quality, fit for purpose and safe; whilst also maximizing speed to market, sales and profit. Ensuring to help make good product easily accessible for all customers
- Being held accountable for the safety of our Childrenswear range supporting the Technical Manager in progressing strategic initiatives and projects
- Build strong relationships across Buying categories, Suppliers and offices to maximize success – offering support where appropriate
- Keep up to date with technical developments, communicating these to colleagues so the best technical routes can be followed during product design and development
- Understand and support collaboration with Buyers and Designers, manage the process that delivers on time, clear product specifications that define technical, legal, safety and manufacturing requirements to ensure that product is ‘fit for purpose’, exceeds customer expectations and increases first time sample hit rate
- Take leadership of a manageable area and support developing and approving prototypes against original product specifications and agree/confirm/sign off manufacturing, fabrication and performance requirements with the objective of achieving ‘right first time’ samples and delivering reductions in lead times
- Support the Technologist and Global Product Compliance Team in the management of supplier quality failures, resolving all issues, including customer complaints; and advise product teams and supplier base accordingly
- Develop knowledge by ensuring new product complies with UK/EU legislation
- Develop knowledge and support technologists work with suppliers to train / guide them on our technical, operational and aesthetic standards
- Benchmark product against competitors - use findings to develop existing and new innovative product
- Develop knowledge of product packaging and labelling ensuring it is fit for purpose, cost effective and appropriate
Essential knowledge and skills required to be successful:
- Develop a good understanding of the product development process within a commercial environment
- Commercial understanding of Childrenswear market and experience of working with a global supply chain
- Grow knowledge of the manufacturing market and supply options within it
- Displays good time and risk management skills
- Has a good understanding & qualification relating to Pattern Cutting and Garment Construction able to assist in the block sign off process supporting pattern technologist
- Able to understand and request Test Reports & Take action on any failures as and when required
- Computer literate
- Aptitude to learn in a fast-paced environment
- Good interpersonal and communication skills to support and influence the wider business
- Understand the broader business strategy and the role of Product Technology within that
- Develop an awareness of cross functional teams objectives – e.g buying, merchandising, GPC , global offices
- Develop relationships with Industry stakeholders and third parties – e.g Test houses, industry federations and organisations
- £250.00 flexible benefits allowance
- 27 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount across the categories
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
- Flexible working options
How to apply.
This is a fantastic opportunity so if you're interested to find out more please contact Kieran Grundy in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status