Search by job title or keyword
Senior Software Engineering Manager - DCX
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work. The role itself will be a mix of on-site vs remote, we've adapted well to remote ways of working and will continue to embrace those practices moving forward.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent?
About the roleAs a Senior Software Engineering Manager you will be responsible for leading several squads within the DCX Tribe. Your focus will be on building high performing engineering teams that constantly strive to deliver best practices in software engineering. As part of the DCX tribe technology leadership team you will set the engineering direction for the squads working alongside Architects, QA Engineering Leads, Service Managers and Security Consultants.
Digital Customer Experience (DCX)
The Digital Customer Experience (DCX) tribe is striving to create a world class customer experience across our Mobile and Web platforms. We are in control of building this exciting future and are looking for like-minded individuals to help make this a reality. We need people with strong backgrounds in digital retail to help us on this journey as we strive to define, design, build and run frictionless experiences that sets The Very Group apart from other online retailers.Tech Stack: Java, Spring Boot, microservices & serverless, React & Node.js, Go, AWS and more.
Here you will have 6-8 direct reports (Software Engineering Leads) and indirectly around 40 Software Engineers across the squads within your team. You'll be responsible for the full Software Development Life Cycle, including coding practices, frameworks, tech debt and operations for all engineering activities of the squads within your area of responsibility. In this role there is no direct budget responsibility but responsible for shaping, delivering and supporting multi £M technology investments.
We're looking for someone who can lead a diverse group of software engineers across a broad, and ever-changing, range of front-end and back-end technologies. You'll be used to setting and maintaining an engineering vision and strategy, promoting modern, lean best practices when it comes to software development, deployment and management.
Our Tribes and Squads models means you'll work closely with architecture, QA, security and service to ensure all software is built with security, reliability, scalability and operability inherently from the outset.
Day to day:
- Promotes sharing of knowledge and best practices but internally and externally.
- Manages technical debt, working with architects to build roadmaps and agrees with product management the balance of work within the squads to ensure risks are managed around aging code and platforms.
- Sets the overall resourcing strategy for the engineering teams including overall recruitment plans and needs.
- Drives high performance and colleague engagement through regular 1-2-1’s, clear goal/priority setting, establishing career development and mentoring plans.
- Leads recruitment for all Software Engineers within your squads alongside the Software Engineering Leads in your team.
- Resourcing strategy for Software Engineers and Tech Leads within the DCX Tribe
- Technology strategy and delivery approach for squads (in-line with Architecture guidelines)
- Software Engineering patterns & frameworks (alongside Heads of Tech and other Engineering Leads)
- Overall support model for your squads (alongside Head of Technology / Software Engineering Leads and Service Manager)
- Performance management and development planning for all Software Engineers / Squads within the Tribe.
- Significant experience of building and leading high performing software engineering teams operating in a lean, agile, DevSecOps based environment.
- Demonstrable experience of providing clear direction, coaching, mentoring and development support. Experienced in managing any individual performance issues.
- Experience of building, integrating, maintaining and managing complex software architectures (both build and bought), ideally across multi-cloud environments.
- Experience of building software applications that have security, reliability, scalability, high availability and concurrency built-in from the outset.
- Strong influencing skills, as part of the tribe leadership shapes the technology vision and direction.
- Computer Science degree or relevant experience (preferably Master’s).
- A background and relevant current experience in a hands-on software engineering role is essential.
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is a passionate Tech Leader looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
- £10,000 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility