Search by job title or keyword
Technology Operations Centre Manager
We’re building a Tech Ops Centre (TOC) and totally rewriting how we manage service, and give more focus to tech and systems used by colleagues.
This TOC includes new capabilities, new tooling and a new physical space. We're building an in-house team to manage service and stability 24 x 7, which will give better visibility of cyber attacks and service incidents across the entire tech estate. By spotting issues earlier and resolving them faster, we’ll deliver better experiences for our customers and colleagues.
The TOC will cover 24 x 7 with 3 people on each shift and is the epicentre of The Very Group Technology – monitoring all platforms and responding to any incidents, both Cyber Security and Stability.
In this role will manage and lead the TOC, providing line management, support and guidance to the TOC Leads & Analysts.
The role involves establishing and implementing the Technology Operations Hub, including recruitment of the team, set up of processes, practices and technologies, all in accordance with best practices and company policy.
You'll have front line responsibility for managing and coordinating major incident and change activity, ensuring an accurate view of the tech estate at all times and you'll be in a fantastic position to seek opportunities to expand and evolve the TOC, become more self-sufficient, taking on more first line support and fixes.
- Day to Day people management of Technical Operations Hub colleague
- Escalation point for colleagues and issues raised from the Hub’s alerting platforms
- Primary contact between Service, Security & Networks & Technical Operations Hub.
- Transition services from other parts of the business or third parties into the central in house Hub.
- Develop the Hub’s capabilities with other Very Group business units & Teams.
- Ownership of incidents and alerts raised from The Very Group tooling.
- Monitor for attacks, intrusions and unusual, unauthorized or illegal activity
- Become the focal point for service and security updates, maintaining a view of the Tech estate at any given time
- Maintain and develop playbooks in line with working processes, periodical reviews as required.
- Responding to incidents raised from the security tooling or partner systems.
- A broad understanding of the Tech Service Management & Information Security.
- Experience of managing teams over an extended shift pattern.
- Knowledge of latest and legacy tech platforms.
- Experience in major incident management and recovery – ability to lead cross platform/functional teams in these scenarios
- Knowledge of latest security trends, technologies and threats.
- A solid understanding of UK regulations and compliance.
- Experience of contributing to and improving the Tech Service, Stability, Availability and Information Security agenda within a corporate organisation
- Good commercial knowledge with the ability to understand and integrate business and security strategies.
- Service Management and/or Information Security qualification strongly preferred (such as ITIL or CISSP), or equivalent time served.
- Experience with tooling in some of the following areas: ITSM Tools, various monitoring and alerting technologies, SIEM, WAF, Endpoint protection and response, Network Behavioral Analytics, IP/DS, Firewall management, operational monitoring systems
- Good technical understanding of development and operational platforms including the Cloud.
- Previous experience running a SOC, NOC or other operations centre
- Experience in setting up a 24/7 team
- Knowledge and qualifications relating to AWS and the associated monitoring tools
- Experience with setting up and running SIEM tooling
- Experience working on shifts/out of core hours, managing complex Tech platforms.
- Experience in people management and team leadership.
- Experience of ITIL SM applied in an Agile model (ITL Certified preferable); including but not limited to:
- (Major) Incident Management
- Change & Release Management
- A passion for Service Management, Cyber Security and a keen interest in tech
- Excellent tech skills, including knowledge of computer networks, operating systems, software, hardware and security
- An understanding of the cyber security and stability risks associated with various technologies and ways to manage them
- A good working knowledge of various security technologies such as network and application firewalls, host intrusion prevention and anti-virus
- Great people skills / relationship management experience - the ability to build relationships quickly across teams and functions.
- Written communication skills, for example to write technical reports
- time-management and organizational skills to manage a variety of tasks, prioritize workload and meet deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical skills and an ability to analyze complex technical information in order to identify patterns and trends.
- A natural troubleshooter, inquisitive and always seeking answers / solutions to problems.
- An ability to work under pressure, particularly when dealing with threats and at times of high demand.
- Experience using modern Service Management and SIEM tooling.
- £6,500 flexible benefits allowance
- 30 days holiday + bank holidays + option to buy or sell 5
- A flexible working culture
- Mental health trained first aiders across the business
- Onsite gym with over 25 classes
- 25% discount on our Very.co.uk clothing and footwear, 15% off home and electricals
- Health and wellbeing agenda
- Childcare vouchers
- Private pension matched at 6%
- Bonus potential (performance and business related)
- On-site discounted restaurant and coffee houses
- Cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site parking *Subject to availability and postcode eligibility
We’re the UK’s largest integrated digital retailer and financial services provider, and we’ve been helping customers say yes when it matters most for over 100 years. In that time, we’ve consistently reinvented our business to adapt to economic conditions and industry changes – going from bricks, to clicks, to mobile.
But despite our passion for reinvention, we’ve never wavered from our purpose; to make good things easily accessible to more people. It means giving our customers the brands they love, an outstanding shopping experience and flexible ways to spread the cost.
We’ve continued to deliver for our customers throughout the Covid-19 outbreak – and we’ve done it by transforming the way we work.
We’re fired up for the future and the next stage in our development. We’ll give customers access to more great brands for themselves and their families, a seamless shopping experience and even more control of their finances through innovation in flexible ways to pay.
Ready to reinvent? Get in touch.
How to apply
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about Tech Ops looking for their next career move. If you're interested to find out more please contact Steven Williams in the talent acquisition team at The Very Group or apply online.
Please note that the talent acquisition team are managing this vacancy directly, and if successful in securing this role, you may be required to undertake a credit, CIFAS and CRB check.
We're an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.